Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo new user questions...

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
rynegold
Guide
Guide

Greetings, I'm considering buying multiple arlo cameras for several locations (mainly home and office) and have a few questions:

(1) Can I buy arlo cameras and deploy them in different locations w/ different wirless IPs (i.e., my home as well as my business wireless internet connections) and still see both on my phone? And can they also be simultaneously seen/monitored on my wife's phone?

(2) Can I see/use the arlo cameras/apps w/my laptop? And if so does it have to be known or didicated wireless IP or can I log into my arlo system via password from any machine/phone?

(3) I'm assuming that I can buy additional cameras and use them w/ either of the systems described above?

Lastly I have some other questions but I'll post them here once I hear what's said about these three. If I've missed an FAQ answering all the above; my appologies... please direct me to that document.

regards, m

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The systems would require a base station at each location and would need a unique email address for each one as the main account. You can monitor them on one device but as two separate units. Adding a friend on each one using the alternative email address could simplify monitoring the multiple systems from one account but would still require separate logins for monitoring.

2) Once set up, you can use the app or supported web browsers to keep an eye on things and for changes. You're actually logging into the Arlo server, not the base station so there's no need to create firewall holes. There's actually no way currently to log into the base station at all.

3) Yes, you can add cameras to each base station although there could be limitations based on what you need. Check the subscriptions for pricing and what each level gets you.

rynegold
Guide
Guide

Ok... now I see. I didn't realize there was a base station that came w/the cameras. You write:

" require a base station at each location and would need a unique email address for each one as the main account."

So you can have a whole bunch of these camera setups as long as you have email accounts to support them right?

So I could use gmail for one of the addresses?

Question: Can this system be defeated by power/internet outage? right? I assume you get a warning call saying such? what else?

Maybe I should say what I'm actually needing: I already have hardwired/monitored security but I don't trust it entirely; I want a way to detect either with motion or infared, anything operating in an assigned area and, be able to choose "when" (specific hours, like from 5:00PM thru/until 8:00AM) I'm to recieve notification of an incursion.

rynegold
Guide
Guide

So in looking around on this site, I find the VueZone system.... is that not a better solution for me? Can it be programed to send an alert to my phone if tripped during certain time frames/hours?

Am I right in saying that the main difference between the two systems is that one is continuous and one is just going to record/store once triggered? I guess this makes for a much smaller cloud footprint? Still though I would like to know if it can be programed to alert my phone/pc during certain hours if tripped.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This system is completely motion-based. You can certainly set a schedule to monitor during whatever time periods you desire, using whatever combination of cameras needed.  Yes, a Gmail address works fine.

I can't speak for the Vuezone system - never had it.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation