Arlo Q 1080p HD camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
wadehall
Tutor
Tutor

How will the Arlo Q 1080p HD camera connect into my hi-speed router?  Will I need to run a separate LAN cable from the camera to the router or does it use a wi-fi signal to connect directly to the router.

The Arlo information says that it doesn't use the netgear router (VMB3000) that my Arlo wireless cameras use.

3 REPLIES 3
Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup totally wireless for data. You'll just need a local power socket.

The normal 720p cameras you have dont do sound, 1080p or 24-7 recording so can survive on batteries

Numbie
Initiate
Initiate

Thankyou for this information.  I am considering both the Q and the wireless option.  My problem is that I can't connect the base station via an ethernet cable to my mobile modem (I live in a remote area with only mobile phone connection to the internet)

So the Q will connect wirelessly to my 4G modem. Correct?

Will it be OK to have the camera outside but in a very protected area under a roofed verandah?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It is possible to use a cellular hotspot for the base station as long as it has an Ethernet port.  If there's only one port, you can easily add a switch to expand them so multiple devices can be attached.  If there's no port at all, you may be able to add a WiFi extender to position the base.  It all depends on the capabilities of the hotspot and what you're willing/wanting to do to make it work.

As for the Q, it should connect via WiFi so no cable would be needed.  However, there's no indication that it's rated for outdoor/damp use.  Protecting it from water is only part of the equation since temperatures, including heat since you may end up putting it in a box, play a part.  It would be an itneresting idea but you may void any warranty.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation