Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Archive Free and Priced Options - Will they Change?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Unlike my Dropcam(eras)*, one of the most endearing features of Arlo is that they actually offer a free tier of archiving, 7 days and 1GB (which I believe will be sufficient for me).  In fact, that's the lagniappe (something extra) that totally clinches it for me.

What are the chances of the free tier later NOT being free?  I don't want to accuse Netgear of ultimately considering the ol' get-the-razor-free/buy-the-razor-blades "deal," it's merely that I'd hate to invest in three cameras only to find a year down the road that the free option has been eliminated and I'm suddenly on the hook for an unwanted monthly fee (although admittedly the paid archive option prices seem very reasonable).

I realize economic conditions can change, but it would be GREAT if you (Netgear) could step up to the plate and provide us your from-the-horse's-mouth thoughts on this; otherwise anybody's 2-cent opinion is also welcomed.

*In fairness to Dropcam, for their fee I'm able to select/keep/download ANY length of recording I want from the last 7 days whether it contains motion or dead air.

3 REPLIES 3
4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I honestly don't see that happening as these cameras were sold with the free subscrition service, it wasn't an offer for free service for the first 6 or 12 months. Also, Netgear/Arlo has been very proactive enhancing their service based on customer requests. Both the scheduler option and the friend/family acount were initially only options on the paid services, they have since made them part of the free service.

In addition to the free service, the fact that ARLO notifies me anytime motion is detected rather than with a 30 minute wait between alerts that Dropcam uses is also one of the several reasons I went with ARLO.

Greg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

otherwise anybody's 2-cent opinion is also welcomed.

My 2 cents;  that would really be netgear shooting themselves in the proverbial foot so to speak.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Sounds fair and reasonable from the both of you.  I'd have to agree.  Thanks!

[BTW, Dropcam DOES take a bit to get you the alert, you're right.  I didn't know Arlo was more or less immediately.  That's a wonderful feature!]

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation