Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

time delay on camera recordings 48B2537C2B90C

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
G00DEZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there.

There seems to be a 5 to 8 secound delay of images when detected. e.g. If  I walk out to my garage the camera starts recording after i've got into the garage so there is no sign of me in the clip. Been and gone.

Any ideas please.

Regards

G00DEZ

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

that long of a delay implies a couple of possibilities - poor positioning for motion detection to work most effectively (across the FOV, maybe starting at an edge) or weak signal between the camera and base.  How far is the camera from the base and what is the WiFi indicator showing?  Post a screenshot of your scene and maybe we can offer suggestions for positioning.

G00DEZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there.

I have moved the camera to about 3.5 meters away from the base which has brought the delay down to about 2 to 3 seconds. Its better but not what I expected. There is just the house wall between the base and camera. Also what is the distance to the camera before it picks up motion?

regards

Goodez

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2-3 seconds is about the best you can count on due to the need for motion to be detected, the camera to wake up and create a connection to the servers and start recording.  It's just the way it's going to work.

Motion detection distance varies according to the type of subject and size.  Cars can trigger 50 feet away but people are maybe 15-20 feet maximum (I think 10-15 feet is suggested as the typical distance). You can maximize detection by making sure the subject is moving across the FOV, not at the camera.  You can also use one camera to trigger another in your modes/rules, if that helps.