Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

setting motion for certain things all cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

ok call me dumb but I have had these cameras for several years and still do not understand where to set each camera to record specific things like people, cars, etc..  Now I read that using the filter is only to view certain criteria that has been recorded. I am so very confused.  I have four cameras two that I want to video cars and people, and two for people and animals. Can someone PLEASE help this dumb old lady? I also read online that only having a subscription can select capturing specific things.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nanlee wrote:

I also read online that only having a subscription can select capturing specific things.

Smart Notifications do require a subscription.  

But I think you are confusing notifications and recordings.  Smart notifications can be set up so you are only notified on your phone when cars or animals are detected on a camera.  You can then immediately view those recordings from the app.

But people, and other motion will still be recorded silently.  Later on when you look in the library,  you will see all recordings.  But as you already have read, you can set up a filter so you'd only see cars or animals if you like.

So this isn't quite what you want, but not that far off. 

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

I get that about notifications and recordings. Am I understanding then it is not possible to set a camera to only video one particular thing like an animal or people at a time? But that the camera will video all motion but you can use the filter to view just the things you want to see in the library??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nanlee wrote:

Am I understanding then it is not possible to set a camera to only video one particular thing like an animal or people at a time?

Correct.  There is no setting to limit recordings to animals, people, or vehicles.  There have been several requests for that here, but so far that feature hasn't been added.  

FWIW, I don't think I'd use it if they did implement it, as there are enough mistakes in the classifications that I'd be worried about missing recordings I wanted.

@Nanlee wrote:

But that the camera will video all motion but you can use the filter to view just the things you want to see in the library??

Also correct.  That's useful if you get a lot of recordings of the undesired types.