Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
idclaire70
Follower
Follower

only one camera looks to be failing.....what can I do to make sure it's not the camera...but the battery.  The system is only a few months old, shouldn't the battery life be longer???  the other cameras look to be ok.  Too much light on the pathway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
telekaster
Guide
Guide

You can try replacing the batteries with new ones and see what happens. I don't think there is a magical way to determine otherwise. The cameras that have the most use will naturally die faster than the less triggered ones. 

A "few months" is right in the range of the expected battery life. I think Netgear claims 4 months battery life. I have three cameras active and had to replace one's batteries after two months. The others are going on month 4 or 5 now and still show good battery levels. However, when my first camera ran out of batteries, it showed 3 out of 4 bars in the days prior. There weren't any real warning signs warning when the batteries actually died. The camera just went dead. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
telekaster
Guide
Guide

You can try replacing the batteries with new ones and see what happens. I don't think there is a magical way to determine otherwise. The cameras that have the most use will naturally die faster than the less triggered ones. 

A "few months" is right in the range of the expected battery life. I think Netgear claims 4 months battery life. I have three cameras active and had to replace one's batteries after two months. The others are going on month 4 or 5 now and still show good battery levels. However, when my first camera ran out of batteries, it showed 3 out of 4 bars in the days prior. There weren't any real warning signs warning when the batteries actually died. The camera just went dead. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also swap cameras around to prove that it's either the camera or the position that's eating batteries.  The position can be the issue due to distance or any form of blackage including walls, wires, ductwork, wireless interference, etc.