Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

do we get messages when batteries are low

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I have had cameras only two weeks - do we get messages when batteries are low - looking at my phone two of the cameras have 2 bars the other two have three (full) - does this have anything to do with the alerts I am not receiving?

Vallorie

16 REPLIES 16
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
There should be low-battery alerts by email. But it's been reported that it's spotty.

At two bars, motion detection alerts should be unaffected.
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I got a low battery message yesterday 15% low and only had this camera less than two weeks and I don't get that many alerts because the cameras are not detecting -- I have to be up on them for the flash to flash --

Vallorie

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Vallorie wrote:

I got a low battery message yesterday 15% low and only had this camera less than two weeks and I don't get that many alerts because the cameras are not detecting --

The official use-case for the Arlo cameras is four minutes of video recording per day per camera. One battery set would last you 4-6 months that way.

If you're already at 15% after only two weeks you must be exceeding that significantly. Are you doing a lot of Live Views? What is your average recording/viewing length per day?

Poor connectivity of a camera to the base station can also cause rapid battery drain, as the camera has to work harder to maintain a good connection to the base.

I have to be up on them for the flash to flash --

What do you mean by that? There is no flash on the Arlo cameras. Do you mean the infrared LEDs that illuminate the scene in total darkness?

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I do not receive hardly any alerts as cannot get any motion connection -- when I said flash I mean there is no alerting when I walk by cameras re detection - (red lights) -- as far as the blue light re detection, that never comes on so I can judge postioning - I called the company and they think I have bad batteries -- they told me to take out and put back in -- I hope I don't have to sync again?

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

what I mean by this "I have to be up on them for the flash to flash" - to detect me by camera flashing red -

Vallorie

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

What I mean by this "I have to be up on them for the flash to flash" - to detect me by camera flashing red -

Vallorie

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Boy, I'm just not understanding. "What we have here is a failure to communicate." (See "Cool Hand Luke")

What are you expecting to " flash"? Nothing should be flashing. Any red lights would be the IR illuminators but they don't flash - they're on or they're not. The amber LED on the camera indicates low batteries or a failure to sync.

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Right re communicating -- what I am saying is when you walk by the camera it should illuminate but they don't - flashing was wrong choice of words.  The downstairs I had to put my face in front of it for it to work -- the company suggested I take out batteries and redo which I did -- that camera is now working -- now the outside one which is about 20 feet high finally captured me coming out of the house with the dogs -- guess it works when it once to - now getting the back one to work

Vallorie

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Vallorie wrote:

Right re communicating -- what I am saying is when you walk by the camera it should illuminate but they don't - flashing was wrong choice of words.  The downstairs I had to put my face in front of it for it to work -- the company suggested I take out batteries and redo which I did -- that camera is now working -- now the outside one which is about 20 feet high finally captured me coming out of the house with the dogs -- guess it works when it once to - now getting the back one to work

The cameras are not meant to give a visual indication of when motion is detected, at least not during normal operation. The fact that you can see the infrared LEDs when the camera senses motion in Night Vision mode is a side effect. Typically you can't see infrared LEDs at all when they are on, not sure why you can see the Arlo IR LEDs.

There is a Motion Detection Test feature on a camera's Settings page, that, when activated will make the (visible) LED blink when a motion event is triggered. However, this is not a permanent feature and only meant to test the sensitivity setting of a camera. Once dialed in, you exit the Motion Detection Test mode, and when armed a camera will - again - not give any visual indication when motion is detected.

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Ok so the red ullimination means nothing when someone walks by?  Because each time I go by it, it ulliminates (lights up red)??

Vallorie

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Schorschi wrote:
The cameras are not meant to give a visual indication of when motion is detected, at least not during normal operation. The fact that you can see the infrared LEDs when the camera senses motion in Night Vision mode is a side effect. Typically you can't see infrared LEDs at all when they are on, not sure why you can see the Arlo IR LEDs. 

That's because the IR LEDs are 850nm - near infrared. There are apparently also systems that use 950nm which is further away from visible light but still visible. I suspect some of the reason for using 850nm is cost - maybe real IR LEDs and filters either don't exist or are more expensive.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

Ok so the red ullimination means nothing when someone walks by?  Because each time I go by it, it ulliminates (lights up red)??

Vallorie

No, it DOES mean something.  It means that 1) motion is detected and 2) it's dark enough to cause the camera to turn them on.  That also means you should be getting a video in your library.  If you do but it's essentially black, it's because the distance is too great to be illuminated properly.  BTW, the red you're seeing should be a dull red array of LEDs, not one bright one (which, if anything, should be amber).

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

YOU SAID = The cameras are not meant to give a visual indication of when motion is detected (I DID NOT REALIZE THIS!!  I thought the cameras purpose was to detect visual motion and then capture it??

And yes amber -- I just see red

Vallorie

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Vallorie wrote:

YOU SAID = The cameras are not meant to give a visual indication of when motion is detected (I DID NOT REALIZE THIS!!  I thought the cameras purpose was to detect visual motion and then capture it??

By visual indication I meant as a blinking light on the camera itself. You will, of course, get notified via app push notification and email (if you program your system accordingly), whenever motion is detected.

The array of infrared LEDs on the front of the cameras that is used to illuminate the scene will only come on when the lighting conditions are too poor for the camera to "see" anything with ambient light only.

So, during daylight, the infrared LEDs will not come on, because the sun provides enough light. In these cases, when motion is detected and the camera records footage, you have no visual indicator on the camera itself that motion is detected.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Schorschi wrote:

That's because the IR LEDs are 850nm - near infrared. There are apparently also systems that use 950nm which is further away from visible light but still visible. I suspect some of the reason for using 850nm is cost - maybe real IR LEDs and filters either don't exist or are more expensive.

Wikipedia says that visible light is between 390 and 700nm. That's why I could never understand that Arlo's 850nm LEDs can be seen when on. They must cover a broader range that reaches below 700nm.

Examples of IR LEDs that cannot be seen are in TV remotes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know specifics but I believe LEDs provide a narrow output band. Whether your eyes have sufficient sensitivity to see it would then be the issue. Also, TV remotes that I've seen typically use a heavy red filter over them, perhaps blocking enough IR to not be noticeable. Again, I don't know the ins and outs here so this is all just a giant SWAG on my part.