Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
david88
Aspirant
Aspirant

can I connect arlo without the internet? and I don't understand the term closed network.  Can I just use wifi without the internet? How can I connect to my computer if my computer has the internet?  Do I bridge my connections with the base station?  please answer yes or no not technical terms like a closed circuit.  thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo requires Internet access. How does your computer get its Internet access?

david88
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have some internet issues so I have to manually change my dns on my computer inorder for the internet to work. and plugging the base station directly to my modem or router will not get connection until the dns is setup.
david88
Aspirant
Aspirant
that's why I figure If i connect the base station to my computer and have my computer could be the router that it needs to be connected to the internet.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@david88 wrote:
that's why I figure If i connect the base station to my computer and have my computer could be the router that it needs to be connected to the internet.

Typlically our home internet is provided through telephone lines via a service called  “DSL” or cable TV lines.  The company providing the service is called an internet service provider (ISP).  A device at the house connected to the phone line or cable is called a MODEM (modulator/demodulator).  That device provides a access to the Internet via a network jack that looks like an oversized telephone jack.  It is called an RJ45 jack or port.  You can plug a computer directly into this port, but usually another device is plugged in here.  We usually call this a router, but these often provide multiple functions including a network switch and WiFi.  If the modem and router are reasonably new, they should have the address of the DNS server in their configuration and it should not change or go away.  These devices also serve the function of assigning addresses to all of the computing devices in our homes through a service called Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP).  This ensures the devices only pay attention to messages that are intended for them and allows those messages to be delivered to them through routers and switches.  The Arlo base needs to be plugged into a router like this so it can be assigned an address (IP Address) and communicate directly with the internet.  It would be very atypical for a modern home PC to be serving the function of a router and would require some sophistication to attempt to configure the PC to make that work.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Also, the Arlo system is designed to operate with full access to the internet.  It is not a stand-alone camera system.  There are camera systems that can work without the Internet at all, but you, of course, would not be able to view recorded videos remotely in that case,  You could only view them when you are on site.