Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

base unit stopped connecting to internet and keeps flashing amber

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just noticed our base unit disconnected from the internet after a couple years, and we cannot get it to reconnect.  We have tried a different ethernet cable, unplugging for 30 seconds, and a factory reset.  Nothing works.  I noticed there was a firmware update on September 8th.  I'm not sure if that could have caused it or not.  We are outside the warranty, so it looks like we have no access to support.  Wow...$400 or $500 on a system that just stops working, and no support.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

14 REPLIES 14
Dannybear
Master
Master

Have you tried power cycling the router modem.

which base model?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tlwillis wrote:

We just noticed our base unit disconnected from the internet after a couple years, and we cannot get it to reconnect.  

tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that did not work.  The base model is VMB4500.

tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base model is VMB4500.  It is flashing amber.  First it is steady blue, then switches to flashing amber.

Dannybear
Master
Master

You could try power cycling the router modem first, wait for it to reconnect to the internet then do the same for the Base station.

it can also mean a camera is missing.

tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have internet service through t-mobile, and use a router they provided.  Is that what you mean by "modem"?  I unplugged it for over 30 seconds, but it looks like it has a battery backup in it.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Some internet providers use a basic modem interface unit and a separate Ethernet router, others use a combo unit. If unsure contact your provider for how to restart it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tlwillis wrote:

We have internet service through t-mobile, and use a router they provided.  Is that what you mean by "modem"?  I unplugged it for over 30 seconds, but it looks like it has a battery backup in it.

When you get T-mobile broadband service, they provide an LTE/5G gateway (which serves as a router and and also the connection to the mobile data network).  So that is what @Dannybear asked you to restart.

The on/off switch should restart it - you can also restart it using the tmobile app. 

tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have turned off the router for a minute, but still the base unit will not connect.   We also tried using a different USB cord from the base unit to the router.  I am thinking about just buying a new base unit to see if it works.  I can return it if it doesn't.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tlwillis wrote:

We also tried using a different USB cord from the base unit to the router.

The base has to be connected with ethernet, not USB.   If you have the cylindrical gateway model, there are two ethernet jacks at the top of the gateway.

tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, I meant ethernet, not usb.  We are using an ethernet cable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
tlwillis
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is flashing amber.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tlwillis wrote:

It is flashing amber.

Ok, so it agrees there is a connection problem.

Did you try another ethernet port in the router?

Also, did you try restarting from the T-mobile app?