Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
PJoy
Tutor
Tutor

I keep getting this error when trying to access my camera from my app. "Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection."  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the calera, i've tried rebooting the Arlo base station, and I've event tried re-booting the actual router the the station is connected to.  Any advice?

32 REPLIES 32
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What happens when you use a browser? Has the system ever worked? 

PJoy
Tutor
Tutor

Hey @jguerdat I get the same error when trying to access from my browser.  Everything worked great for a few months and now nothing works.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PJoy,

Is the base station online (solid green internet LED) when you see this error? Are you ever able to stream your cameras or do you see this error 100% of the time?

JamesC

PJoy
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I checked the router that the base station is plugged into and the light by the ethernet cord is orange.  I tried moving the cord to another connection and no luck. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PJoy,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to resolve this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I am having the same issue, but the lights on the base are solid green.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AAnderson5406,

What device are you experiencing this behavior on (app/web client)? Do you experience the issue if you use a different device? 

Some users have had issues when trying to view while security software such as Bitdefender is enabled. Consider disabling any security software you may have and try again.

JamesC

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor

I am experiencing this error on the Arlo app loaded from my iPhone 6, with the wireless Camera.  When I log in to the app it says: Your device is not connected. Make sure it’s connected to your router and has a working internet connection.  I am direct connected to the router through an Ethernet cable.  Everything else is my house is working on the WiFi: TV, Netflix, phone, ipad, laptop, Nest.

I don’t believe I have any security software at my house.

How do you login to the web client?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Security software is on your computer and phone (it better be!).  ANti-virus and -malware.

Web access is via arlo.netgear.com.

When using your app, try logging out and back in - sometimes that will clear it.

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I have tried logging in and out on the app on my iPhone and tried logging in on my laptop. I still am getting the message: Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.
All my devices can use the wireless internet and the device is connected to the router. I don't know what to do. I have tried resetting the device and turning it off and on, still same message pops up.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base doing?  You should have 3 green ones - power, Internet and cameras.  Also, try a browser to see if that works.  If so, try reinstalling the app.

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I have tried using the browser on my laptop and still didn't work. I have 2 green ones not 3, I'll have to check over lunch to see which ones.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely the Internet connection LED is the one not lit.  Try using the power swicth to reboot.  If that doesn't help (give a minute or two to reboot), check the cable.  Could be the cable or even the port on the router that it's plugged into.

TheHeathen
Guide
Guide

I'm also getting the "Your device is not connected..." message on both my iPhone and my browser (Firefox).  I've rebooted both the base station and my router.  The router is working with other devices.  I'm only getting the power and internet LEDs on my base statioin - the camera is not lit and the amber light on the camera is blinking twice every 10 seconds or so even though it's in the same room as the base station.  Everything was working fine until today.  I don't have BitDefender or any new security software. 

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I did all of the turn off and on and reboot and reset, I swapped out the Ethernet cords as well. The third light below the camera is still off. I only have lights below the power symbol and the next one over to the right is light as well. Is there something wrong with the port on the netgear base? I have tried everything now.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem that both of the above users have dead batteries.  A camea with an amber flashing LED has low battery levels - no indication, including no camera LED on the base, implies a dead battery pack. Try fresh batteries.

TheHeathen
Guide
Guide

jguerdat, you are correct - thanks.  What sucks is that I just changed my batteries about a week earlier, so I don't know why they died so quickly.  What doubly sucks is that instead of waiting for an online delivery of the batteries, I picked them up at Radio Shack, where four batteries cost over $40.  I wish I kept the receipt. On Amazon I was able to get 12 batteries for a little over $10.  Lesson learned.  

Another thing which added to the frustrating confusion is, when the previous batteries were dying, I got an automatic email letting me know to change them.  No such warning this time around. It would have been nice if Arlo's error message was more consise, and pointed to an issue with a connection with the camera instead of leading me to believe that the issue was between the base station and the router. 

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I tried replacing the batteries and still have not been able to get the camera to connect to the base station.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Detail ALL the steps you've taken. What are the LEDs on the base showing? What does the LED on thew camera do when trying to sync?  Is this a new install or was it ever working? Try a factory reset by removing all devices in Settings and then pressing the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber.  Open and close all battery doors.  Add the base back in using the Add Device button on the Cameras tab and resync the cameras.  Does it work now?

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
I have tried resetting, taking batteries out of camera and adding new batteries, remove base station from arlo app, add base station back, try to add camera. Hold sync button down for 2-4 seconds no camera sync button flashes. Sometimes camera button flashes Amber. Power light is green and the light next to that one is green, all other lights are not on. Still canno connect camera to base station.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AAnderson5406,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

calipers
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same problem getting the 'not connected' messages while trying to set it up. I wanted to be on my land line internet connection, however, it appears to be too slow, about 1.5 Mb/sec. I live in a small town where AT&T only supports up to about this speed. As soon as I changed to my satellite internet service (about 12 Mb/sec everything worked fine. My camera is now online.

AAnderson5406
Tutor
Tutor
Netgear swapped my camera out. I still cannot connect the camer to the base station. I hit the sync button on base station the camera light flashes so I hit the sync button on the camera and nothing happen no blue light or Amber light flashes. Am I doing something wrong?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like something with the batteries.  Are they inserted correctly and the door closed all the way?  Try a different set of batteries.