Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Justin11111111
Follower
Follower

Cameras are being hacked with live feeds placed on a Russian based website. What is Arlo doing about this? Is our content safe?

I have not heard anything from the company about this.

Here's a news article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-24/security-cameras-hacked-streamed-on-russian-website/12380606

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thank you for your recent inquiry into Arlo’s standards around security and privacy. Since the inception of Arlo, we have been as passionate about privacy and security as we are about building high performing products and services designed to help people protect and connect with the things they love. 

Arlo delivers and continues to implement industry-leading hardware and software security solutions to protect your privacy.  Please visit our website for Arlo’s Privacy Pledge

Additionally, Arlo offers two-factor authentication when logging in to your Arlo account. This adds an extra layer of protection requiring approval for any new devices that log into your account before gaining access.

For more information on 2FA, take a look here: What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

-Arlo Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Not-a-tech-nut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

I know that subject header may sound contentious - and apologies to anyone offended - but I just read a number of news articles saying home security cameras are being hacked by a Russian website called "inescam" and that people who go to their websites can see into your home, and can also remotely manipulate the zoom or camera angle.

We only turn our Arlo on when we are out, but the news articles say that still shows when we are home versus not home, and it says the camera can be turned on remotely (by the hackers).  The article said the inescam website claimed they only use 'unsecure' cameras.  But it sounds like they hack into home software, where security is low...

Before posting this, I read the 'solved' article and I read the 'how does Arlo keep my videos private', but does that mean because we have passwords, our Arlos can't be hacked? 

I have an Arlo Q,  PoE (the model above is the closest to mine, which is about 3 yrs old) but that's the end of my technical literacy:   so my question is, do I need to do anything to keep my home and family safe from internet hackers because of my home camera??

Regards, T

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use 2FA (two factor authentication) to help strengthen your account access. However, it's my impression that the hacking issue is due to an issue that doesn't affect Arlo but I don't remember details. Maybe @JamesC can offer a glimpse into this with more detail.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thank you for your recent inquiry into Arlo’s standards around security and privacy. Since the inception of Arlo, we have been as passionate about privacy and security as we are about building high performing products and services designed to help people protect and connect with the things they love. 

Arlo delivers and continues to implement industry-leading hardware and software security solutions to protect your privacy.  Please visit our website for Arlo’s Privacy Pledge

Additionally, Arlo offers two-factor authentication when logging in to your Arlo account. This adds an extra layer of protection requiring approval for any new devices that log into your account before gaining access.

For more information on 2FA, take a look here: What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

-Arlo Team

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Just want to add that I haven't seen anything that says that Arlo cameras have been hacked (or voluntarily added) onto this site.  It does have a pulldown list of manufacturers, and Arlo isn't listed.  Arlo can't give you much more than what they've already posted, since this is at the moment a hypothetical.

You should use a strong password for your Arlo account, and consider 2FA.  You can also change the password periodically, and manually check that there are no cameras with granted access.