Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wiring Arlo wire-free to solar panel

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
thedogmonster
Tutor
Tutor

I'm modding one of my arlo cameras to work with a Moultrie 6V solar panel. I found this method online made using a 12 Volt battery. I  can't tell in the photo or the drawing if that's a voltage regulator pot or a switch?  Shouldn't he have used :  a) a 6 Volt battery  and b) a 7806 chip? Someone commented already that he has the wrong capacitor and that he needs to upgrade it to  a  100uF.

8Volt??8Volt??

3 REPLIES 3
thedogmonster
Tutor
Tutor

The schematic for the above solar power setup

drawingdrawing

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The 7806 takes an input of 6-18v and will output 6v+/- the load

So yes he could use a 12v battery and output 6v ( not 8 with that chip )

If wired correctly the 6v should be ok but on the low end of what I would use...

( also prob need a heat sink , also the panel doesn't look like the game camera panel ? )

But IMO, you may be better off with a 6v gell cell ( which I have done ) BUT you prob need a controller ON THE PANEL SIDE...  solar cells typically  can put out in excess of 10v above their rating and without you can overcook a gell cell in a short time ( a 12v panel can make  20v +/- when load is low )

I used a 317 chip to output a panel as the output is adjustable in the curcuit. ( and I had one in junk bin )

317chip.JPG

Remember you could always test the camera with just a 6v gell cell, nothing else, to see if functioning suits you

then add to the build.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Edit...

Looking at the picture closer...yes he is Using a 7808 which will give you 8v out.

8v is the voltage I would use, so that part is ok... the OEM batteries when new are 3.2v each or 6.4 total... the cam also workes on 3.7v li-ions with are about 4.18v after charge...so you would see  aprox 8.4v.

6v is enough to work all but it may read not full on the battery.

Morse is faster than texting!