Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will camera pick movement if WiFi is disconnected? Will it store data when WiFi/Bluetooth fails?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
getup87
Follower
Follower

Hey alll

I have the ARLO camera system (not sure the exact model,  but have several wireless cams on the property), and am very watchful of activity on my property (car entering the drivrway or deer in the backyard, etc). If you get disconnected from wifi will the cams still pick up movement and leave a queue to watch? Same if the ARLO box gets disconnected do the cameras still work and leave a queue? (I have kids) I live in the middle of nowhere and would like to know if the cameras store data even if your wifi/bluetooth fails or ARLO gets unplugged. 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you have an Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2 system with the VMB4000 base station, you can insert a USB flash drive up to 2TB capacity and enable USB backup. Motion/sound activated recordings will be recorded to it as well as to the cloud. In the event that the internet connection to the base station is lost, the recordings will still be on the USB drive. You will need to eject the USB drive from the base and insert it into a computer to watch the clips using VLC.

If the base station loses power, there will be no recordings anywhere. The cameras themselves do not store video. Best to keep the base station on a UPS if you can