Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Will arlo work while computer is turned off?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
PowPow1945
Aspirant
Aspirant

I turn my computer off at night to save energy and to allow for any updates.  Does Arlo continue to work while the computer is off, considering the cameras are battery operated I would think so, but not sure.  The dock station is still lit up as if the computer was still on, just like my router. 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup. As long as power is supplied to the base and the batteries are good, the system works.  It has nothing to do with the computer or mobile apps.

PowPow1945
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, then I'm wondering why it didn't record me this morning.  I went out before I turned on my computer to let the dog out.  It has been roughly 4 hours since, and although other videos have surfaced from later in the morning after the computer was turned on, this one video prior to the computer being turned on has not.  Is there a setting or feature that I need to update or set? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming the system was actually set to record, it could be various things.  Movement straight on is harder to detect than side-to-side, relative temperature differences between subject and background, center of the field of view vs. edges (edges seem more sensitive), etc. can all get in there, alone or in combination. I know it's not a good answer but perhaps some more experimentation with position and sensitivity would help. Also, don't forget that there's a motion detection test mode in the camera settings so you can use that to fine-tune your scenario.

blackmamaHope
Aspirant
Aspirant

I left the house yesterday and had my computer off. I tried to check/see what was going on at my house while I was gone, but it said I was "offline". I am thinking that I have to leave my computer on because my router is connected to my computer. NO? Please help. Thanks, Blackmama.

Also, IF I do need to leave my computer on all day, will that make me vulnerable to hackers? Thanks. BH

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No need to have the computer on and, no, it doesn't make you any more vulnerable to hacking than any other time that it's on.  Just make sure your antivirus/malware software is up to date, as always.

Where are you trying to access Arlo?  At work?  Are you on WiFi or cell service or using a computer? Work networks have been known to block access so using cell service may be your only choice.  Also, try logging out and back in - that usually fixes the issue for me.