Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Ac98
Tutor
Tutor
I have the netgear arlo camera system. Will it work if my Internet goes down? Does it record video and when the internet comes back online, can I view those videos?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
No and no. If Internet is down Arlo is down. No video recording, no notification, and no notification that your Internet is down.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ac98
Tutor
Tutor
Also, will the system alert me if the internet goes down? If not, will I even be aware of a problem with my internet if I am away from home and have the arlo app on my phone?
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
No and no. If Internet is down Arlo is down. No video recording, no notification, and no notification that your Internet is down.
Ac98
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you!!
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Arlo Q Plus will work if the internet is down, or even if your camera loses connection and the internet is up.  It has local storage via the microSD card.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes the Q + has a mem card and will record local ( if prior set up ) .... But the OP was asking about Arlo cameras. 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
fototx
Star
Star

Hello, 

If your internet goes down due to power outages, you might consider adding an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). Depending on the length of the power outage and capacity of your UPS can keep your networking gear up and stable enabling your cameras to record and save video.  Of course, if your internet outage is due to your ISP, then you have to address it with them and a UPS is not your solution in that scenario.

I recently added a UPS with 500VA capacity that keeps my router, Arlo base and cable modem running for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.  The UPS is used only for the networking equipment. Total power draw is about 10 watts for the three pieces of gear. Given the nature of the outages here, that time was enough to keep the network stable and accessible.  And if it is a bad guy who intentionaly cut the power and comes into the home, my security alarm system kicks in and notifies central monitoring. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

fototx wrote:

Hello, 

If your internet goes down due to power outages, you might consider adding an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply). Depending on the length of the power outage and capacity of your UPS can keep your networking gear up and stable enabling your cameras to record and save video.  Of course, if your internet outage is due to your ISP, then you have to address it with them and a UPS is not your solution in that scenario.

Yes... a few on the site have gone to UPS for your reason and more.  Most of the time if power goes out your cable line may be good ... if you supply power to the modem, your still on the internet . * like the old POTS line powered at the switches.

But also, in remote locations, If power goes out ( no matter if cable goes out too ) as long as the Arlo base has power, the cameras "think" all is fine as they can ping back and forth.  I have seen a few times that when the Base is out, 1) cameras use more battery life than normal trying to reconnect 2) sometimes after a period of time they drop out loosing sync.  When the cameras drop out in this mannor, only physical interaction brings them back online ( something hard to do if remote like a vacation home )

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Your power and Internet is one issue, but another to keep in mind is things go down on their end as well (e.g. trying to download a recording for the past 30 minutes, and it keeps timing out). No solution to that problem without local storage options.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mocodi wrote:

Your power and Internet is one issue, but another to keep in mind is things go down on their end as well (e.g. trying to download a recording for the past 30 minutes, and it keeps timing out). No solution to that problem without local storage options.

Won't argue that if you absolutly need local storage, then the Arlos may not be the best chioce for you.....

Every system has some sort of flaw.