Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wifi limits

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
paultcook
Aspirant
Aspirant

With the Arlo system, if the cameras can't reach the wifi router, what are my options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have basically two options,

1) move the base to a central location so all your cameras reach the base

2) use an Ethernet cable ( or wifi extender with port) to add a second base that reaches the far cameras ( sync the closest cams to each base )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have basically two options,

1) move the base to a central location so all your cameras reach the base

2) use an Ethernet cable ( or wifi extender with port) to add a second base that reaches the far cameras ( sync the closest cams to each base )

Morse is faster than texting!
paultcook
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  

Because of the design of the house and it's age, putting the wifi router in the center of the house is not an option.  Adding a second base will not be easy either but you do what you have to.  Since that is probably what the outcome will be, I'll need to create a second SSID and make sure the cameras connect to the correct unit.  Since the cameras may see both (one strong, one weak), what difficulties can I anticipate and how do I overcome them?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't do anything with SSIDs.  The bases create their own networks - you have nothing to do with it.  The connection of the various cameras is up to you since you have to manually sync them to a base.  Once synced they remain with that base.  Thus, the base on one side of the house will always have certain cameras associated with it and the same thing for the other base.