Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WiFi Network

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
WilsonFlyer
Star
Star

Does the base station create its own WiFi network exclusively for the Arlo cameras and future Arlo products or are the cameras running on my existing WiFi network?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

WilsonFlyer wrote:

Does the base station create its own WiFi network exclusively for the Arlo cameras and future Arlo products or are the cameras running on my existing WiFi network?

Yes...the base hooks to your switch/router then the base station creates it's own wifi network for the cameras... Yes also for future Arlo products down the road.        ( tho hinted at but no hard facts yet )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

WilsonFlyer wrote:

Yes...the base hooks to your switch/router then the base station creates it's own wifi network for the cameras... Yes also for future Arlo products down the road.        ( tho hinted at but no hard facts yet )

WilsonFlyer
Star
Star

Thanks, Tom. That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. I couldn't find them on ny network and couldn't find any supporting documentation to clarify it. Granted, I only got my system about 3 hours ago so I haven't had time to dig much. 😄

Much thanks!

Marc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

The wifi network from the Base Station is visible as NETGEARxx. Is it possible to make it unvisible or is there no worry that someone can get in the Base Station?

Regards, Marc

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you mean hide the ID, I think is was requested....

check if here ;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

if it is add kudos, if not add the request

T1m
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any way to connect the cams to a different Router within the network?

Setup: I have connected the Netgear-Arlo-Base-Station to the Router. However we also have an extension via PowerLAN to Basement & Garage. Whilst the Uplink enables other WiFi devices (Laptop, Smartphone etc.) to receive a good connection in those places the Arlo cam does not receive the WiFi from its base station.

Any chance to change this - i.e. connect the Arlo cam directly to another router in the network.

Other idea: place a second Arlo base station in the same place the extender? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think your second option, a second base station, is the best answer.  If the signal strength is the issue, you either have to move the base or get a second one.  A possibility is to buy a long Ethernet cable to connect the base in a more suitable location relative to the router.  I have a slew of cables run around an old house to provide optimal connections, even with a powerful router in an optimal location.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you can not sync the cameras to another wifi unit... they will sync/connect only to the base.

Two options are

1) long run of ethernet to center your base for location ( 100m max )  

2) there is no reason why an extender with an ethernet port won't work, providing there is a good connect between the extender and your main wifi unit

(make sure there's a 1M transfer min as per specs)

Patje
Aspirant
Aspirant

good day,

my Inglisch is not that good, so pls forgive me is the quaetsion was asked/answered already.

my home is extremly well insolated, and therefore very poor strength of wifi connection out side.

1. is it possible to connect the netgear router via wifi as wel to my excisting internet router, or can they only connect via cable?

2. I have a wifi extender (socket type) where I can also insert a UTP cable. Will it work if I connect the netgear router to the wifi extender?

your reply will be highly appreciated.

Patrick

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) No, you can't use WiFi to connect the base station with the router. You must use Ethernet.

2) Yes, you could use an Ethernet cable to connect to the extender.

Patje
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi, tnx for the answer, thats clear.

1 more question raised my mind.

can I also also add other camera's(other brand, like maybe a camera with mic/speaker and/or better specs) to the router, and watch them in the same app?

assume Arlo is already developing better and new cams for this system....

many thanks in advance.

Patje

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now, all cameras/connections must be in the Arlo family.  Perhaps down the road other Netgear devices might interface or even some interconnection protocols added to allow other devices to work together but that's all speculation.  You need to treat this system as a completely standalone system.

vvogel
Initiate
Initiate

Is it planned by Arlo to allow the use of the local WiFi Network to solve the signal range issues ?

I just bought 2 repeater to extend the WiFi Network outside of my house, thinking that this would allow the cameras to get connected to the Arlo Base. I just don't want to buy a second or third base 😞 Furthermore, I have no guarantee that the WiFi Network range will be sufficient 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The new Arlo Q camera doesn't use a base station, just your WiFi.  Maybe that would be your solution?

papisphone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to add a range extender to the network that the base station creates?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are we talking Q or wirless?  The Q would potentially benefit since it uses only your own WiFi but the wireless cameras would not since they only converse with the base station, not using your WiFi at all.  You can use an extender with an Ethernet port to reposition the base for a better connection with all cameras.