Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wi-Fi Channel Conflict Arlo Pro Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kereluik
Follower
Follower

When ever the Arlo Pro Base Station is powered cycled it selects the same Wi-Fi channel as your Wi-Fi Router.  You would think, you would want your Wi-Fi cameras on one channel and the rest of your internet traffic on another channel.  

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Netgear engineers have determined that the base unit will run better on the same channel due to it's usu location is near the router...less collisions

If positioned more than about 20 ft or so away it picks what it see as the best

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

The Netgear engineers have determined that the base unit will run better on the same channel due to it's usu location is near the router...less collisions

I know this is an old topic but....  I have to say this is not my current experience. I'm working with support to resolve the very weak wifi reception capabilities of a Q camera that is in the room next to where the Arlo base and my wifi router sit. It would be 'online' but at the lowest level so that darn flashing purple light every evening telling the world 'look at me'. Yes you can put a zillion layers of tape over the status led but that shouldn't be a real solution. The wifi analyzer shows reasonable signal at the location and every other camera (wireless original or Pro or the Q+) has no problem in the same spot. Just the Q.  

When I checked this morning, my wifi router was on channel 11 and the Netgear Arlo was sitting on channel 10.  Don't know how they managed that, but I changed them both today so router is now on Channel 1 and then Netgear rebooted to Channel 6.  The two routers are still in the same close proximity that they were before as I don't really have an option to move either one, but changing the channels *has* improved the signals on both of those 2.4 networks. 

I've also set up QoS on the 2.4 router network to give priority bandwidth to the Arlo base, Q and Q+ traffic to see if that will make a difference and reduce or eliminate any pixelating or other artifacts in videos. Most of my other regularly used devices connect to the 5 GHz network anyway.

Hopefully the two routers will STAY on those separate channels as it appears to have improved the performance of BOTH networks.

That still doesn't fix the fact that the Q camera is really poor at picking up any wifi signal but, for now, it is at least staying connected.