Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Which Base Stations work properly? VMB3000 goes offline (possibly from brief power outage)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
adanac
Tutor
Tutor

I have the VMB3000.  Occasionally, it will go offline, possibly from a brief power outage.  It is designed to not come back online, according to Arlo.  They told me so.

Which ones ARE designed to come back online AND re-connect with cameras on it's own?

Time to switch to Wyze
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I dunno that it's a design "feature" but it's long been understood that this happens. I can't say that I've heard of newer bases having the issue but I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same. 

I would suggest one or both of two options:

1) a UPS for your modem, router and base so loss of power doesn't kill your network and Arlo system.

2) a WiFi-enabled switch for the base so you can remotely turn power off and back on to the base.

adanac
Tutor
Tutor

I would also not call it a feature, but it is indeed how it was designed according to Arlo themselves.  When I contact them and ask them why, they refuse to answer.  All they will do is show me how to put my system back together again, which I already know now to do (I just don't want to have to do it every time).

If we think all of the bases are designed that way, then I'll just switch to Wyze.  Four cameras and a base station for what it costs for an average UPS.

I've been testing the Wyze outdoor cameras lately.  The system immediately comes back online after an outage, is 1080, has two way audio, SD card recording in camera AND in the base station, modes, push notifications, etc.  Moreover, it is a SMALL fraction of what an equivalent Arlo system costs (which is designed NOT to come back online after a power outage).

Time to switch to Wyze
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If short recordings with 5 minutes inbetween them is satisfactory...  I've had them, too, and sold them.