Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When I go off grid (leaving cell coverage), cameras do not record?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Maine69
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo cams are at my home with full wifi. When I leave cell coverage in northern Maine my cameras do not record while I am off grid. This is useless since the cams are my security when I am away from home. How do I get these to record and store data until I return to cell range?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Maine69 wrote:

Apparently I never set up the cloud or I have lost how to get to this. My app has no tabs or anything referencing the cloud. I use a Samsung S9+.

If you can see recordings when you do have cell coverage (or are connected to wifi), then the cloud is set up and working.

@Maine69 wrote:

The issue is I live in Maine and travel to areas that have no cell coverage for days sometimes. So when I am gone the cameras cant send activity to me and the only storage is supposed to be my 7 days free cloud recordngs. 

You can get 30 days of storage with a paid (Premier) subscription, but of course there would be a monthly charge.

The only free alternative is to connect your phone to a wifi hotspot when you are travelling, and review the recordings while connected to the wifi.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How does the Base unit get to the internet??   It is hooked into a router via ethernet correct?

When ARMED, as long as there is internet access, the cameras will record to the cloud ( newer units do have usb backup options if internet goes down, if previously armed and has power )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Maine69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, you have lead me to solving my issue.

Now I am suppose to have the legacy cloud, somehow I have lost access or never set this up when new. I have my original box with several numbers on the barcode. I just cant see how to access the free cloud that I am supposed to have. What do I need to do to access this? I am about ready to throw this away and start over with a different mfg.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you tell us what cameras and base station you have?

Can you access the cameras when you are home?

Maine69
Aspirant
Aspirant

The model as the box says,

Arlo 

Model No. VMS3530

Yes, I can access the cams through the app with no problem.

The issue is I live in Maine and travel to areas that have no cell coverage for days sometimes. So when I am gone the cameras cant send activity to me and the only storage is supposed to be my 7 days free cloud recordngs. 

Apparently I never set up the cloud or I have lost how to get to this. My app has no tabs or anything referencing the cloud. I use a Samsung S9+.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Maine69 wrote:

If you can see recordings when you do have cell coverage (or are connected to wifi), then the cloud is set up and working.

@Maine69 wrote:

You can get 30 days of storage with a paid (Premier) subscription, but of course there would be a monthly charge.

The only free alternative is to connect your phone to a wifi hotspot when you are travelling, and review the recordings while connected to the wifi.