Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

Is the Arlo camera completely weatherproof or do I need a protective housing? What temperature Arlo camera handle?

15 REPLIES 15
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

The operating temperature is 14° to 122° F (-10° C to 50° C). The camera may not perform optimally in extreme temperatures (tempuratures well below or above the operating temperature) primarily due to the battery constraints.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Arlo Team

eislon
Tutor
Tutor

So it is due to the batteries that the temparture settings are defined. 

The camera's are able to have different tempatures?

And what will happen if I have a camera outside and it gets to -20C in the night ? Will the camera survive this? But it might not work because the batteries are drained?

M_in_Phx
Initiate
Initiate

State:AZ

Camera Location: Outdoors

Camera Faces: East

Camera Sensitivity:100%

I have a camera outside and it seems as though either the direct sun or the temperature (29C ) is limiting the motion detection. Is there a solution for this problem? I am past my 30 day return from the retailer 😞

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a camera outside and it seems as though either the direct sun or the temperature (29C ) is limiting the motion detection. Is there a solution for this problem? I am past my 30 day return from the retailer 😞

Try and aim the camera down a bit more to avoid the sun., or see if you can use another location to avoid same.

For more info do a search on "motion", there are many threads that may help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
M_in_Phx
Initiate
Initiate

This has been a regretful purchase.  Motion detection on my Arlo is sporadic; I can approach the cameras in any number of directions and they fail to pick up motion. My cameras have not picked up any motion in the last 10 days...not even my car pulling into and out of the garage. The battery life is ridiculously short-lived, expensive and inconvienent to replace. I have had to replace my batteries three times since my purchase in Janurary. Tech support is difficult to understand and takes blocks of hours of my time. I wouldn't mind spending the time trouble shooting issues, but I didn't pay for a beta model and Tech Support runs you through the same scripted trouble-shooting dialogue every single time. Incredible disappointed and wish I could simply get a refund. 

CG198
Star
Star

I hate that you are having problems. I have had my cameras since May 2015 and the batteries on all 7 of them are reporting full charge. I don't constantly "play" with them in other words I am not constantly streaming them just to see what they are seeing. Granted response time can lag but I have written several rules to turn on multiple cameras that has increased the ability of the system to capture an intruder if one camera detects motion. These motion sensing cameras work best if motion moves across the the screen or even at a diagona. Moving directlu toward the camera in a straight path can keep the motion sensors from detecting motion right up to the point you get about 6 or 7 feet from it. Of course you have to set the proper modes or you can create your own. I have one called Vacation" that turns on everything and uses rules I have written for motion. So far I have been very pleased. Know this is a work in progress I suspect there will be firmware updates to help response time and so on. I have a neighbors cat that has become an issue a 1:45 in the morning....and sometimes a rather large insect (moth) lands directly on the camera ad sets it off. Birds are an issue under the carport as well. But Ihave managed to work past most of the iisues (neighbors cat is still ongoing) by changing sensitivity and angle of view. I have found in some cases inverting the camera and then going to camera settings and inverting the picture allows me to turn the camera upside down and aim the motion sensor at a different spot.

Are there issues? yes are they a deal ender? no.

TheBigGExpress
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

What can be done about insects?  This is BY FAR my biggest issue with Arlo.

scrytch
Star
Star
One of my cameras that is outdoors but under cover is now exhibiting a pink hue across the entire picture. The only thing that happened is that we had a 43°C day, but this is inside the temperature range specified. What do I do?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

scrytch,

I will reach out to you in a private message to help resolve this issue.

JamesC

Dalelander777
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought this camera system back in august 2015.

I love THE SYSTEM  but the one I HATE are those damm batterys WHY Lithium 123 Battarys??? and WHY NOT AA BATTARIES? LITHIUM are soooooo expensive I got 4 cameras and it takes a total of 16 battaries those battaries cost $10 for 2. you do the math. And plus I had to replace them twice already since I bought them/  What a pain. Now I bought reacharable ones I found online totaling $180 for 32 battaries atleaset I can recharge them now but battarie life is even shorter now. What a pain NOT HAPPY    AA BATTARYS WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CONVINIENT SINCE YOU CAN GET THEM AT EVERY STORE  THERE ARE CHEEPER AND YOU WOULD ALSO FINE SOME GOOD RECHARABLES AS WELL.

Rating camara system  9 out 10

Battaries    0 out 10  SUCKS WHAT A PAIN

Spoiler

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

WHY Lithium 123 Battarys??? and WHY NOT AA BATTARIES? LITHIUM are soooooo expensive I got 4 cameras and it takes a total of 16 battaries those battaries cost $10 for 2.

Prob the main reason for picking the lithium batteries are they have more available surge current and higher mahr ratings over normal AAs.

As to price, $10 for 2 is crazy I will agree... I buy them from a online battery company and the last batch cost $1.35 each

efreeman1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in Wisconsin, temperatures can get as low as -20F, but seldom.  I understand if I mount this outside the battery life may be affected.  Are there any other detrimental/permanent effects on the Arlo camera itself?  I also want to mount it so I can catch HD video of wildlife, if this camera isn't ideal for this, does Netgear plan on developing a camera for this?  All other cameras on the market for this purpose use SD cards...yuch!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

efreeman1 wrote:

I live in Wisconsin, temperatures can get as low as -20F, but seldom.  I understand if I mount this outside the battery life may be affected.  Are there any other detrimental/permanent effects on the Arlo camera itself?  I also want to mount it so I can catch HD video of wildlife, if this camera isn't ideal for this, does Netgear plan on developing a camera for this?  All other cameras on the market for this purpose use SD cards...yuch!!!

My Arlo has been out in 0f weather ( maybe as low as -5 ) with no effect on the camera. The batteries voltage dropped a bit but it still worked fine.

The main problem I see is that at -20f may be at near the range where chemistry starts to degrade thereby having less available current/voltage. The real way to know would be a test.

But also consider what amount of recording are you looking for..Spec use is 4 mins per day for the 4+ month battery life.

If you really want to use the Arlo cams for wildlife at those temps, I might consider doing some sort of mod in the battery department and a different type of battery.

( which of course defeats the way Arlo was designed to work and will void the warranty )

Evin808
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same thing just happened to us - on the third day we had it hooked up... Temperature outside was 103F. Did you get yours fixed?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Evin808,

The operating temperature is 14° to 122° F (-10° C to 50° C). 103F is within that range. What issue are you having with your camera that indicates there is a problem?

JamesC