Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What camera should I use? Need a camera that can withstand weather, CVR, solar panel, etc.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Helpmybody
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need a camera that can withstand mounting on busy interstate all weather conditions, CVR, minimal maintenance, solar power because cameras will new to be placed at 40 feet in the air for maximum filming range. I don’t want to have dismount for maintenance every 10 days or such to change battery or check something. I would prefer 10 day or so loop recording! The goal is to be assessing for accident review when no witnesses are available and to get filming of accident scene for review by officials to determine fault! What should I use for this?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Helpmybody wrote:
... cameras will new to be placed at 40 feet in the air for maximum filming range. ...
The goal is to be assessing for accident review when no witnesses are available and to get filming of accident scene for review by officials to determine fault! What should I use for this?

Personally I don't think any Arlo cameras are a good fit for your application.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

what you want is prob beyond the scope of Arlo cameras....

it would require an external IR flood for night, a large mem device and ac power in a heated container.

( think of the camera setup used for traffic cams )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Helpmybody
Aspirant
Aspirant
I want the least expensive route to assure that 99% of the time it is recording with minimal maintenance. I need to be able to only take a few minutes to mount at various locations within a few minutes, not days, for each camera. Will I be able to do that?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only possible Arlo camera even close to be suited for this would be the Go camera which uses cell service. The other wireless cameras all require the use of a base station with power and an Ethernet connection to the Internet. The base also has to be close to the camera so each camera would likely need its own base (not to mention power and an Ethernet port). The Go camera is self-contained so that requirement goes away.

However, the Go is not designed to be continuously recording/streaming. It's still based on motion detection and 40 feet up would preclude that of being much use due to the PIR motion sensors. Additionally, the solar panel available for Arlo simply wouldn't be able to keep the camera running since it's really just a trickle charger.

As noted above, the Arlo cameras aren't a good choice for this application.