Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Myrddin_E
Follower
Follower

I still have some old 640x480 resolution, BNC connected, wired security cameras, as well as the HDD DVR with which they were purchased.  Ironically, I considered throwing them away (or selling them on craigslist/EBay) just this past weekend, but after reading yesterday's Business Insider article on how Google's Nest is "shafting" it's customers -- I'm not so sure.

The full article is available here (http://www.businessinsider.com/googles-nest-closing-smart-home-company-revolv-bricking-devices-2016-... but, in summary, a Wireless Smart-Home solution (Revolv) will be unexpectedly "bricked" in May -- on purpose -- by Google because they are no longer interested in supporting the device.  They have conveniently scheduled the malfunction after all of their customers' warranties have expired (after 1 year) and will not (at this time) be providing any compensation/reimbursement to users.

While I LOVE my Arlo wireless cameras and app, I can't help but feel a twinge of concern that, as Revolve users depended entirely on a remote server-based service, likewise do we as users of Netgear's Arlo.  All fear-mongering aside, as logical users we need to determine in advance what our expectations are regarding the useful life of our devices and then approach our service providers to ensure that their plans are in alignment with our expectations.

I like upgrading as much as the next guy, but I would really like my $600 purchase to outlive its warranty.  But how long is long enough...?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be (somewhat) fair, that situation is quite a bit more complicated since it's based on companies purchasing others.  At least at the moment, Arlo is Netgear-only so doesn't seem to be on the same path.  Of course, anything's possible...

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
How's that saying about what the only two things certain in life are? Death and taxes. Arlo is not in that list. So, there you have it.

We are buying and installing ever more devices akin to clone army soldiers. When the central server dies, every soldier will crumble and fall like a marionette whose handler ran away.

This is a level above built-in obsolescence. It's obsolescence at the push of a button via remote control.

Schöne neue Welt!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Brave but crazy !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------