Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Warning!!! Scam operating as Arlo Support

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Caud
Tutor
Tutor

Was attempting to get help with camera privacy shield that kept activating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Caud
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot.  I went on Arlo Community searching for help in a privacy screen issue on one of my cameras.  While searching for assistance, a screen came up offering Arlo Chat.   I have been on chat before and it was very informative and helpful. I assumed this was same Arlo Chat as there is no true phone assistance when having an issue that is very concerning.

when I clicked the person told me I had reached Arlo Chat and if I would enter my phone number an assistant would call me within 10 minutes.   I received the call and the person identified himself as Arlo Tech assistance.  
I can give you the name of the charge on my PayPal Acct that I was advised by PayPal not to pay as they could not clear.  They said the sender had added something on their end that she had not seen before and she could not clear the charge. 

View solution in original post

Best answers
7 REPLIES 7
Caud
Tutor
Tutor

This scam took over my computer when they told me they were checking connection and making sure no problems.  I had to unplug my computer to stop and next day a charge was on my PayPal Acct from them.  Had to change all my passwords and have computer tech wash my computer to clean any hidden plants they had installed.  

use caution and be aware when on Arlo Community and especially CHAT!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

How did you find the way to connect to support?  I am guessing that you googled (which unfortunately will often lead to a scam site).

https://kb.arlo.com/000062119/How-can-I-avoid-Arlo-support-scams

Caud
Tutor
Tutor
I did not Google for assistance, I was on Arlo support and trying to get help when chat option appeared and Arlo was on page.
I clicked option at bottom of Arlo page.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:
I did not Google for assistance, I was on Arlo support and trying to get help when chat option appeared and Arlo was on page.
I clicked option at bottom of Arlo page.

@JamesC - tagging you in case you want to follow up.  No idea why there would be a paypal charge coming from Arlo support.

Caud
Tutor
Tutor

The PayPal charge did not come from Arlo Support.  It came from the chat session that I clicked on that said IT was Arlo Support Chat.  He then asked me to click on a link and promptly took over my computer.  The charge was posted on my PayPal from him as he asked for my email in case we were disconnected.   A total scam and I was foolish to let them pull it on me BUT, I thought I was connected to Arlo Tech as the page that came up on community stated contact Arlo Chat. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:

BUT, I thought I was connected to Arlo Tech as the page that came up on community stated contact Arlo Chat. 

Was this from a link in a community post?  

Either way, can you provide a link to the arlo page where you found it?  

Caud
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot.  I went on Arlo Community searching for help in a privacy screen issue on one of my cameras.  While searching for assistance, a screen came up offering Arlo Chat.   I have been on chat before and it was very informative and helpful. I assumed this was same Arlo Chat as there is no true phone assistance when having an issue that is very concerning.

when I clicked the person told me I had reached Arlo Chat and if I would enter my phone number an assistant would call me within 10 minutes.   I received the call and the person identified himself as Arlo Tech assistance.  
I can give you the name of the charge on my PayPal Acct that I was advised by PayPal not to pay as they could not clear.  They said the sender had added something on their end that she had not seen before and she could not clear the charge.