Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video not recording to library

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Bgar
Guide
Guide

I've reset both the base station and the cameras.  Cameras are on fresh batteries. Base station has 3 solid green lights. Manual recording uploads to the library fine.  When i walk in front of the camera the night vision sensors come on for the alotted amout of time.  Mode is set to a schedule where motion is on all the time. (All Motion on has the same non functioning results.)  No filters on the library.  Every test i've done works fine but when left to it's own devices nothing will record to the library. 
Current firmware: base station 1.4.2695, Cameras 1.2.2688

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bgar
Guide
Guide

Thank You, Thank You , Thank You!!!

Finally solved and everything is up and running fine.

Current Firmware:
Base: 1.8.1.1_10234
Cameras: 1.2.10342

Took a little work around to get them fixed.  I'd recomend Netgear look into an easy way to update firmware when internet speeds aren't up to par.
The current situation with the internet here is that it's in a very rural part of the country.  The connection is far from good.  1.48 Download, 0.21 Upload

Netgear support says it needs a minimum of 1,5mb upload to perform a firmware update.  So yeah, we weren't even close.

Thankfully i brought along my Netgear wifi range extender and tethered that to my phone and connected the Base Station to the extender.  With adequate speeds through the phone the firmware update went through without a hitch.  Hello armed/diarmed!  Hooked it back up to the house network and all's good.

Again thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out and i hope this thread saves some people time.

Ben

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
All Motion On implies an issue. The best answer is to reset the system by removing all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Those old modes are leftovers from old firmware. Once removed, use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and then sync the cameras. Be sure to only press the base sync button briefly - don't hold it. That should give you only the Armed and Disarmed modes p!us the schedule.
Bgar
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply.  
Unfortunetly it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.  Deleted all devices. Re-added the base station.  This time it required i name it and it reset the modes to Schedule, Geofencing,  All Motion on, All Motion off.  I added the cameras.  It remembered their names.  Set the mode to all motion on.  Camera reacts the same way.  That is to say the night vision lights go on when i walk in front of it but nothing gets uploaded to the library. Manual record works right away.
When i first installed the system near the end of the summer everyting was working fine.

Bgar
Guide
Guide

Just tried a factory reset.  Didn't change anything either.  Been browsing the forums and it seems to be a common problem.  None of the threads had a definitive solution.  
I noticed you mentioning "Armed" and "Disarmed" in a few comments. As opposed to the "All Motion On. All Motion Off" modes.  Is it possible that a firmware update messed up?  Is there a way to force a firmware update on the base station?

Thanks again.

Bgar
Guide
Guide

Is there a proper way to factory reset the cameras?  Removing batteries. Removing it from devices. Removing everything. Base station factory reset.  Anything i do they always come back with there names. This leaves me to believe that there's setting's kept on the camera that aren't resetting.  Possible something's messed up with the firmware in the cameras that's not triggering the camera when the motion sensor goes off.  Everything else seems to work.

reaching for straws at the moment.

Bgar
Guide
Guide

Last attempt for this evening.  I created a brand new account in the app on my phone. (Was using the browser before)  Resynced the base and the cameras to the new account. This time the names of the camera's reverted to their serial numbers so scratch the hypothesis that the camera keeps the info.  (must be the user account)

That being said.  My modes still didn't have armed/disarm but again had the Schedule, Motion On, Motion Off and GeoLocate.  Set mode to Motion On and i get exactly the same results as the pervious account.  Both cameras appear to be functionning 100% but nothing gets recorded to the library unless i do it manually.   

Added note. My phone now gives me notifications on every movement that happens with the cameras yet the mode is clearly set to email only and push notifications are turned off.  I'm only receiving push notifications, no emails.  If i set it to push notifications and no email, i receive push notifications.  If i turn them both off, you guessed it, i receive push notifications.  Was this software tested at all?

Also if i'm out of the app and motion is detected, when i enter the app there's a (1) on the library icon at the bottom.  Select it and there's nothing there.  Again Filters are off.

Bgar
Guide
Guide

To add insult to injury.. Since nothing is being recorded to the library i figured i'd save on battery life by telling the mode to do nothing instead of record.  Assumed it would still send me the notification that it had detected motion.  Too much to ask for it seems.  When you set it to nothing it really means nothing.  What's the point of this option then!!!  Detect motion and litterally do nothing... I beg you please enlighten me as to when that would be the best option as oppsosed to turning the camera off.
I swear this software can't have been tested very well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Something is totally screwed.  After reset you should have ONLY Armed, Disarmed and the schedule (and geofence if on the app).  One more thing to try:

Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices.  This time, physically reset the base by using the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber.  Add the base and sync the cameras.  Check for firmware updates (I'm not sure if you're using the original wireless or the Pro system so I'll post all the versions here:

Original base - 1.8.1.1_10234

Pro base - 1.8.2.4_10232

Original camera - 1.2.10342

Pro camera - 1.090.0.0_9945

Do your versions match?

Last gasp - open a case with support.  This is definitely wrong.

Bgar
Guide
Guide
Will see if I can get to it tonight. I'm an hour and a half away from the setup. Had tried a hard factory reset but I definitely don't have those versions.
The mobile app (unlike the web site) allows me to check firmware update. Indicates no updates.
Base Station: 1.4.2695
Cameras: 1.2.2688
System model: VMS3230

Opened a case with support last night. Still waiting for a reply. I'll post as I go.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bgar,

The firmware you listed is old and likely this is the reason for the symptoms you describe. The firmware update may not be completing due to poor internet speeds. Who is your ISP and what is your download/upload speeds at that location?

JamesC

Bgar
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC, 

Currently on a support Ticket.  This was also the last thing mentioned.  I'm an hour and a half away from the installation so it's not super easy for me to run back and forth.  The service provider is Xplorenet but i'm unsure what speeds are at the house.  Will verifiy as soon as i can.  

Odd way of working. Why would download speeds affect the ability to download a firmware? Would it not simply take more time to download.  I'd assume the base station would do it in the background and only comense the installation of the new firmware once it had all the correct files downloaded.  

In the case where the download speed is too slow is there a way to update the firmware via other means.  Say from the USB ports on the back?
I would like to avoid the 6hrs of driving just to update the firmware.

Bgar
Guide
Guide

Thank You, Thank You , Thank You!!!

Finally solved and everything is up and running fine.

Current Firmware:
Base: 1.8.1.1_10234
Cameras: 1.2.10342

Took a little work around to get them fixed.  I'd recomend Netgear look into an easy way to update firmware when internet speeds aren't up to par.
The current situation with the internet here is that it's in a very rural part of the country.  The connection is far from good.  1.48 Download, 0.21 Upload

Netgear support says it needs a minimum of 1,5mb upload to perform a firmware update.  So yeah, we weren't even close.

Thankfully i brought along my Netgear wifi range extender and tethered that to my phone and connected the Base Station to the extender.  With adequate speeds through the phone the firmware update went through without a hitch.  Hello armed/diarmed!  Hooked it back up to the house network and all's good.

Again thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out and i hope this thread saves some people time.

Ben