Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMC3030 Battery Life Issue

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pauljozwiak
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Folks.  I guess this is to JamesC?  I read pretty much read all the post about the wireless camera battery issues.  I have four cameras and all appear to have the latest firmware: 1.2.16720.

The two cameras outside the house are doing well with battery life.  The two inside, closer to the base, die (go offline) in less than a week with no warning email about their batteries getting low.  I don’t think I ever read what the resolution was to this issue.  I don’t think its a proximity to base issue.  I don’t think its a 'battery brand' issue; spent about $100 more testing different ones.

Someone did elude to maybe a 'bad batch' of cameras?  Is there is fix for this?  is there a way to RMA these?

Thanks in advance.

Paul J

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@pauljozwiak

Are these inside cameras in a high traffic area?

Are they mounted in dark areas?

Are you leaving them in the Armed state or Disarmed?

When I first got my Arlo HD system I placed one of the cameras in a dark hallway. It was a high traffic area and every time I passed by I would see the red IR LEDs turning on. The batteries drained within a couple of weeks. I later placed the cameras in a spot with more light and the batteries lasted a lot longer. I thought that a firmware update had also improved my situation as my batteries are lasting for months now. I only arm the inside cameras when I am away from home. The outside cameras are Pro models on solar panels so the battery life is not important to me now.

Brian

pauljozwiak
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Brian. Thanks for the reply. The two I am having and issue with are inside and rarley get armed. I might add also the two I am having issue with actually came with the base. The two outside are add-ons and are doing fine periodically armed. Still enty of battery left after over a month or so.

One is in the kitchen, high traffic area and well lit. But again I am not arming that one at all and still dies inside of a week.

The other is in the foyer, not too dark and also high traffic. But just like the kitchen cam not armed and still dies within a week.

Just this last time, replaced batteries on Friday and cameras are offline today. I'm sure if I reset them the batteries will be drained and report as dying. And just like all the other times, I'll get an email telling me my batteries are 'getting tired' after I reset them after going offline. (:

Paul J
brh
Master
Master

@pauljozwiak

The usual cause for rapid battery drain is the cameras dropping out and the base keeps trying to connect them until the batteries die. Be sure to check the range symbol to be sure it is at least one bar. Interference can also cause the cameras to drop out.

The other thing is to gently insert the batteries correctly then close the battery door and let the door seat the batteries.

Also, when you go past the camera do the red IR LEDs come on?

Brian

pauljozwiak
Aspirant
Aspirant
They have full signal strength, three bars, when they are online. One of the inside camers also has clear line of sight to the base of about 15ft so can't image interference being and issue.

And yep. When I replace the batteries I place them gently and let the door seat them. The IR doesn't engage because they are not armed. When they are armed I see the red lights come on in low light.

Constant polling the camera does make sense though. Just need to figure out why it could be polling the cameras a heck of a lot more often that are closer to the base than the cameras that are working more and farther away?

Paul J
brh
Master
Master

@pauljozwiak

Just in case it is an interference issue, be sure that the base unit is at least 6 to 8 feet away from the router. Move the two cameras to a location where there is no movement such as an unused closet and check them after, say 12 to 24 hours. In the past when I did have mine outside even though they were disarmed, they would lose battery charge fairly quickly, but not as quickly as you are referring to. If you wish to send a comment to James_C be sure to use the "@" symbol in front of his name.

Brian

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am seeing the same issue with one of my 3 cameras.  This camera is 15 feet from the base station and in the same room.  I have run 5 sets of duracell batteries flat within around 3 days each time.  It started occuring after the last firmware upgrade.  Perhaps this camera did not update correctly. Is there a way to reload firmware ????

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No but a quick step would be to remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it to see if that helps.

Also, swap cameras around to help determine if it's the camera or the location.