Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
F1aKk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an original Arlo system with 2 cameras and the base station on sale for about $100 a while back.   The motion sensor delay was so incredibly bad that i could walk 80% across the view and it would finally capture me.  I think I'm far outside the return time, so I tried it again outside overnight.  While it had trouble seeing me waving my hands in front of it, it caught the wind blowing/bugs flying by 70 times in five hours...

So we are in the market for new cameras.  I don't like the cost of the Nest subscriptions and was looking at the Arlo Pro 2 for the 1080P.  Should I try and sell the old Arlo system and buy the full Arlo Pro 2 system, or just buy a camera and use it with the old base?   Can I still get the 3 second lookback on the old cameras, or is that camera specific?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQs here on changing sensitivity as well as camera positioning. There's little wrong with the original wireless cameras vs the newer Pro series. While there are enhancements, proper camera aiming and sensitivity settings should accomplish most or all of your issues. Post screenshots for suggestions.

F1aKk
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've read the FAQ, and tried several positions to fix it. Attached is a couple shots from near my front door. Two different positions. Both times walking up from same spot. I walked up to the house from between the cars, at a leisurely pace. It didn't kick on until I was practically on top of it.
F1aKk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here's the 2nd shot
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The first one looks better to me since it gets you walking across the FOV which has the best detection. Unfortunately, that direction of motion doesn't happen until you're nearly at the door. What sensitivity level in your mode/rule did you use? I'd try higher.

The second image is aimed too high and motion is pretty much at the camera, making it much less useful for detecting motion.

F1aKk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Both at 100%. That's the issue. Works fine during the day, but if the only way to keep the house protected by video is to mount the camera on a pole in the lawn...sort of defeats the purpose. If I move it further back, it's too far to detect motion, closer and the subject is out of the picture before it records. So this will be the same problem as the Arlo pro and pro2?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is taht 100% in your modes and rules or in the motion detection test? 

The Pro cameras can detect a bit further but not leaps and bounds better. What do you mean it works fine during the day? You haven't said it's a nighttime issue.

F1aKk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Modes/rules. The night vision is what's killing me. The daytime is okay, but still delayed and I've yet to find an angle where I'd trust it would catch someone's face approaching the door. For some reason I can only add 1 photo here, here's a daytime one of the wife and kids walking to the car from the front door (81% in modes/rules). I got 1 false alert from a car/tree combo this afternoon, but could raise it for daytime a bit.
I can't find a single spot for our back deck stairs that would properly trigger at night in time to be useful at all. Which is why I'm debating the Pro2 and paying the subscription to get the 3 second lookback.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning can be challenging. Sometimes, reversing the view so that people leaving rather than ariving can be useful.

The 3 second lookback is only when the cameras are plugged into the wall. If you can supply power to them it could be useful as well as subscribing to CVR.