Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to claim this device

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant

An error message stating " We are unable to claim this device" displayed during setting up the  Net Gear Base Model No. VMB3000, Serial No. 48E25376A064D. this message is displayed when I use my personal computer. However, when I use the Arlo app to do the same an error message of " internal error" is displayed. The messages are shown when I try to give my device NAME as shown in the attachment. 

I tried to remove the Arlo app and install it again, Reset the Base Station system, change email but no success. 

your assistance is highly appreciated. 

Best Regards,

Nasser 

BS.jpg
14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:

An error message stating " We are unable to claim this device" displayed during setting up

Are you trying to claim the base itself?

Or are you trying to add a camera to the base?

Either way, is the device being added already claimed in another account?

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dear Stephen,
Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes I am trying to claim the base station itself and also want to add cameras.
From the time we bought the arlo cameras and the base station we were unable to set the account this maybe because we forgot the email ID that we used at first time to set up the account.

Can Arlo base statation be used with arlo cameras that have been set up with another base station?

Regards,
Nasser
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Was the base ever set up on any account? That may be the reason you can't set it up now. It would have to be removed from the first account to be able to be claimed by the second.

If it was never claimed at any point, try resetting the base by holding the reset button for >10 seconds, until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot to green power and internet LEDs and try again.

And, no, cameras that have been synced to another base station must be removed from that base before adding them to another.

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes the base station was previously set up with another account but we lost the email address that we used. This is why we can't remove it from that account. Is there any way to overcome this issue?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:
Yes the base station was previously set up with another account but we lost the email address that we used. This is why we can't remove it from that account. Is there any way to overcome this issue?

Do you mean you don't remember the email address?

Or do you mean that that the email address no longer works?

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
We don't remember the email address we used.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:
We don't remember the email address we used.

Arlo support might be able to help, but I think you probably will need some list of possibilities.  

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
We are ready to provide you with any information needed to solve this issue.
Please let me know that is needed.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:
We are ready to provide you with any information needed to solve this issue.
Please let me know that is needed.

To clarify - this is a community forum, and I don't work for Arlo - I am just another customer.  To reach Arlo support, click on the support link on the top of the page, and then click on "Contact Us"

Keep in mind that anyone who has stolen cameras would need to remove them from the real owner's account before they could use them.  Support might have to tell you that they can't help (and if they can help, they will need some assurance that you are the legitimate owner).

I think Arlo would want to know the serial numbers of the cameras and base.  Details depend on the camera, but the serial number is typically inside the battery compartment (behind the battery).

I think it would be helpful if you had a list of email addresses you've used over the years. They will also likely want to know the name and address in the account profile.

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for your help, I will contact Arlo support center. By the way the base station and camera were not used before and never been online, Yes I still remember part of the email that we used but not full, and I think we still have the purchase documents.

Best regards
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:
 By the way the base station and camera were not used before and never been online,

Are you sure?  If they were never on-boarded then you should be able to claim them.

Nasserknd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I am sure they never been online, I remember I set up the account and added the cameras to the base then I forgot the correct email account.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasserknd wrote:
I remember I set up the account and added the cameras to the base then I forgot the correct email account.

Then they were on line.

Zigmaloni
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Except Arlo Support makes it virtually IMPOSSIBLE to reach them by email or phone, and they do not have any stock of NEW BASE UNITS!!

At this point, I am completely disgusted with the support of Arlo and its devices.

So I purchased a "Refurbished" unit off Ebay. You see, my movers lost 3 boxes of mine and 1 of those boxes had my Arlo base unit in it. Arlo said "We have no stock on new base units at this time" so they suggested I get one on Ebay or the refurbished market.

Long story short, the VMB3000 I purchased off Ebay, with serial number 48946B7PAFF39 is as useless as the cameras, and support available from Arlo. WORST SUPPORT SYSTEM EVER! I will recommend my family and friends NOT TO BUY ARLO PRODUCTS!!! PEROID!

Zig Maloni

Chicago, IL.