Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to Live Stream: "Device does not exist"

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

My arlo with 2 cameras has had this problem for several days:

-Base station is online
-Cameras record on motion, and these recoded vidoes are viewable in my library
-BUT cameras cannot be streamed on app or in browser, error is "The Device Does Not Exist"

I have reset the base station, re-synced both cameras, removed all devices and reinstalled, and the problem persists. No network changes have occurred and other devices on the same network remain online. I am able to stream a camera from another user who has granted me access -- it is only my own cameras that I cannot view.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC suggested that I remove all of my Arlo devices from my existing account, create a new account, and pair the devices with the new account.  That seems to have fixed the problem, and I am now able to stream my cameras.  Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You've done the basic troubleshooting steps. Create a trouble ticket for possible RMA.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ajb_hnl,

Is this a newly created account (was the camera working previously)? Were any changes made to the account when this issue started to occur (new cameras added, grant access to another user etc.)?

JamesC

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

No, this is not a new account... the cameras and base station have been working fine for me since April of 2015.  I have not added any new cameras or users recently, though I have had to re-grant access to a user after disabling/re-enabling the base station.  

That said, I do perhaps have a slightly unusual usage scenario.  On occasion, I bring my cameras (call them C1 and C2) over to a friend's house to use.  He has his own base station and cameras, and I sync C1 and C2 with his base and he is able to use them, and he has granted me access so I am able to view them as a shared device.  However, upon returning C1 and C2 to my home, I sometimes have trouble with C1 and C2 even after re-syncing.

I last used C1 and C2 at my friend's house on March 8.  Upon returning C1 and C2 to my house and re-syncing to my base station, I was able to stream & view them for a week or so, then the "Device does not exist" error began.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ajb_hnl,

That is a unique scenario...Consider the following:

1. Have your friend log in to his account and remove C1 and C2. (these cameras are likely still showing as offline on his system)

2. Have your friend remove your account from his Grant Access menu via the "Delete Friend" button.

3. Log into your account and remove C1 and C2 from your system.

4. Sync the cameras to your system. Attempt to live stream.

In the future, consider removing C1 and C2 from your account before syncing them to his base station. Then when you leave follow steps 1 and 2 again before syncing C1 and C2 to your base station.

JamesC

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

I've followed your steps 1-4 (with the help of my friend) and unfortunately, the "device does not exist" error persists.  The camera does still record on motion, and shows up under my account, I am just unable to stream it and get the error message.  Hm.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're supposed to remove any cameras from an existing system before moving them to another. I'm a little surprised that you were able to move them without doing so.  I think dropping back and punting is the best solution - remove the cameras from both systems and then add them back into one.  If moving the cameras, remove them from the existing and add them to the other.  Repeat the process any time the cameras are moved.

You may need to remove the cameras from both systems, remove the bases and factory reset both to get things sorted out.  Just a SWAG but might be the trick.

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

I was unable to find any documentation about using a camera with a different base station, so we tried it and it worked and have kept on doing it as needed.  This is the first time it has given me trouble.  

My attempt to factory reset my base station by pressing its Reset and Sync buttons simultaneously for 10+ seconds failed.  The status lights remained solid green.  I have, however, removed the cameras, Restarted my base station from the app, and re-added the cameras.  I still get the "device does not exist" error.

It seems like poor design to require that the camera be un-paired from a base station before it can be used with another: what if the first base station suffers catastrophic failure and the cameras can't be un-paired from it?  What if someone sells off a camera to someone in another city and forgets to un-pair it first?  It seems that there should be a method to reset it or override the original pairing.  Thankfully my friend is across town instead of across the country, so I will go over to his place tonight to see if this can be resolved.  It's extremely frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The current reset procedure with the latest firmware is to use only the reset button.  The use of the sync button was obsoleted by the latest firmware.

As for requiring cameras to be removed, it's obvious that it can be done without doing so but it could be a security method to prevent stealing a camera to be used on another system. Seems to be a little extra step is worth the effort.

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

I removed the cameras from my home base station.  I brought them to my friend's house, he synced them with his base station, then removed them from him system.  We removed each other as shared users.  I reset my base station by holding the Reset button, and added the cameras back.  Both are visible on my account.

However, I still get the "device does not exist" error.

Grr.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ajb_hnl,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC suggested that I remove all of my Arlo devices from my existing account, create a new account, and pair the devices with the new account.  That seems to have fixed the problem, and I am now able to stream my cameras.  Thanks for your help!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ajb_hnl,

Great to hear! Thanks for letting us know the issue is resolved.

JamesC

ajb_hnl
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately "device does not exist" has returned.  

The only change I made was to share access with my friend again.  Since then, I've deleted his access to try to troubleshoot, but I still get the error.