Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trying to add wife as a friend to the cameras I use. Only sends invite to make new account?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mwinton
Guide
Guide

I have an Arlo account, my wife has an Arlo account. I wanted to add her as a friend to the cameras I use, and vice versa. Adding a friend on the app is not helpful. It only sends an invite to make a NEW account, not to someone who has an existing Arlo account. I can’t find a way around this dilemma. 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been a while since I granted access so I don't recall the exact directions. However, if the access was granted to the same email address as used for the existing account, I would expect that logging into that account would just show the cameras automatically.

If that isn't working, would you mind posting the email here? Delete personal info such as the email address before clicking Post.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

However, if the access was granted to the same email address as used for the existing account, I would expect that logging into that account would just show the cameras automatically.

I agree (and folks here have regranted access, and haven't run into this issue).

mwinton
Guide
Guide

When I couldn’t get the account to work, I deleted here as a friend, and tried to send an email invite to add her back. That’s where the problem lies. No email invite gets sent to an Arlo account holder, and her friend status says pending. The cameras we shared are not showing up automatically. 

mwinton
Guide
Guide

Help me figure out which email you would like posted. I don’t understand how I can help at the moment. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was hoping for the invitation email she would have received. However, if none is received, you obviously can't post it.

Has she checked spam? What email provider does she use? Have you tried a second email address, if available?

mwinton
Guide
Guide

Gmail was the email server. Here’s the deal. Arlo won’t send an invitation email to a known Arlo account user’s email. So, we set up a new gmail address, and the email invite showed up. The link associated with that email is tied to the address it is sent to, you can’t use a different email to sign in. So you make a brand new Arlo account. The fix is you can now go to the Profile, and change the email on the new, fake account to the email for the original account.  When you do this, all the cameras do show up, but on my Arlo account, my wife is still listed as friend request pending, because you will never get an email invitation. The Friend request sent to the new, fake email address shows up as Accepted in my Arlo account. 
Thanks for the help - it allowed me to figure this out. But the fault is with Arlo not sending an invitation to a existing user....