Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Tricky Set Up

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bluknight12
Guide
Guide

This device was touted as being easy to configure.  What am I missing here.  Have motion detection set to ON (with or w/o schedule - don't care, can't even think that far ahead) and a live feed going at the same time and it doesn't detect anything, NO recordings showing up in library.  And this is with just one camera and aren't I lucky, just bought a second.  I'll be ready for the looney farm with two cams.  To me there is just too much back and forth configuration.  Live view, detection on, the running man is grayed out, turn schedule on, turn schedule off, rules or you have to go check the mode and see if the check mark is green.  WTH.  shame as the camera presents a really clear picture too.  why not a toggle switch in the program user interface,  Camera ON - Camera Off  keep it simple stupid.

Update, my wife just informed me, You can't have it both ways LOL.  Guess I was overthinking this setup.  Why have a a live view IF you are dectecting motion.  Kind of makes sense.  But why not have it set up for both.  suppose you have live feed going on your laptop, sitting in your fav chair and fall dead asleep.  someone is outside sneaking around your house and you dont record anything.  Bingo !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bluknight12
Guide
Guide

OK OK, I think I have a grasp on it.  Could have been me overthinking this setup and use.  But thanks for taking the time to answer and get me going.  Seemed to be enjoying it more now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snipped ... Why have a a live view IF you are dectecting motion.  Kind of makes sense.  But why not have it set up for both.  suppose you have live feed going on your laptop, sitting in your fav chair and fall dead asleep.  someone is outside sneaking around your house and you dont record anything.  Bingo !!!

If you have motion detect turned on, AND you are currently watching a live view of the camera, you will notice the "running man" that is GREEN ( for on ) turn RED showing that it is recording.

BTY, if your watching a live stream and fall asleep, the live feed turns off after 30mins max to make sure you don't deplete batteries ( by falling asleep or leaving it on )  🙂

But once it is set up with the proper MODES for you location, it's just a matter of toggling the right mode and or you sched on

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
bluknight12
Guide
Guide

OK OK, I think I have a grasp on it.  Could have been me overthinking this setup and use.  But thanks for taking the time to answer and get me going.  Seemed to be enjoying it more now.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No problem... most have a bit of difficulty with rules/mode at the start but then hit an epiphany.

Rules say what the camera does... records how long, motion sense, email for motion, etc

Modes just say what cameras are active ( really all the modes contain the same info. ie; all your cameras, and they just have them active or not )

Rules are fairly easy, most do -   cam A senses motion and records on cam A for X time and notifies email listed

Modes can ONLY have one running at a time , the newer overwrites the older.

The default modes are ( or similar named ) ALL MOTION ON and ALL MOTION OFF.

If you look at them the difference is ALL ON has GREEN checks at the end of each camea ( meaning active ) and ALL OFF has BLACK checks ( meanin not active)

So if you have 4 cameras, 2 inside and 2 outside you may want to add 2 more MODES.  Go to settings/modes and click add

Make one INSIDE ON and the GREEN checks will be on the inside cameras ( black on outside cams )

Make one OUTSIDE ON and GREEN checks will only be on the outside cameras ( black on inside cams )

Now you can use MODES for 1) all on 2)outside only 3)inside only 4) all off

It does get easy after a few times.

Morse is faster than texting!