Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Lisa712212
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hoping for a little help.  My cameras were all working great until yesterday.  

Everytime I log on to the app I am getting a "camera failed to connect. Try again" on the screen.  This is happening with all of the cameras.  Any ideas of what this could be.  I tried resyncing the cameras but that has not seemed to help.  

Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are all three green led's on the Base lit? If so, try logging out of Arlo, then log back in. Hope that helps.

Lisa712212
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

I am not at home to look at the base but I tried to restart it from my phone.  I did try logging out and also restarting my phone but nothing has worked.  

Thanks for the suggestions.  

Ms_Wit
Tutor
Tutor

I am experiencing the same problem. Syncing or signing in & out is no help. Support information suggests a "Restart" through the device settings. Unfortunately, that option does NOT appear on the menu! 

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Only physical presence​will help. A UPS/battery backup can help fly through power outages can help this and a WeMo or similar WiFi switch so you can remotely power cycle the base may be useful.
Ms_Wit
Tutor
Tutor

Would you believe I went through a whole bunch of nonsense to learn that the only "fix" was to replace the batteries! ALL OF THEM!!

Sad thing; I had just replaced them for one of the cameras.

Here is what I did: 1) Shut down/restarted the modem and the router.  2) Found the "Restart" button on the BASE device. 3) Started to sync 

the cameras - no results. 4) Replace the batteries.

You might want to start with number 4 first. I couldn't believe that ALL the batteries went out at the same time, either.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the cameras have lost connection to the base, the batteries will relatively rapidly deplete since they're constantly trying to reconnect.  I don't know exactly how fast they'll deplete but it's much faster than just sitting there.  SInce the batteries were already in use with unknown levels, it's quite possible that it wouldn't take long to drain to nothing which would explain needing to replace all batteries at the same time.

Ms_Wit
Tutor
Tutor

Now, that makes sense. Thank you!

MonicaDuMont
Aspirant
Aspirant

I continue to have problems with this system. After months I finally fixed it, but lasted for a week. Now it says FAILED TO CONNECT. Have tried the following -

1. replace batteries

2. Resync cameras

3. Shut down app on phone and restart

4. Shut down app on computer and restart

5. Scream lol

Not sure what else to do - but this is crazy!

THX

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MonicaDuMont,

It sounds like the signal strength between the camera and the base could be weak or being interrupted.

How far from the base is the camera? Are there any other nearby wireless devices that could be interfering with the signal?

JamesC

MonicaDuMont
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have no clue what to try next. Can someone please assist!

I have the cameras no more then 30 feet away from the base station.

I cannot spend this much time on these cameras - any suggestion. Have worked less then 1/4 of the time!

M

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

30 feet can be too far depending on various things that impede the signal.  Try moving one or more close to the base to see if they still do the same thing.  When the issue pops up, what are the LEDs on the base showing, including color?  Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

samman
Tutor
Tutor

My unit is 5 ft from the wireless router and I cannot connect.  My other unit is 30 ft away and is currently streaming.  Sometimes it's reversed.  There is something seriously wrong with their service.  I just bought an Arlo Q Plus thinking that the hardwired line would be more stable but sadly no.  It's craps out just the same.

I call support and their solution is for me to change my password to arlo123 so they login -- UNACCEPTABLE privacy violation!  They don't have to other tools to diagnose connections problems?!?  FYI remove and re-adding the devices is a waste of time.

One thing I notice Arlo uses AWS but for some reason I get routed to the EU-WEST instance even though I'm in the US on the east coast -- that could explain my high latency.

Think this is gonna have to be a return.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

samman,

Is the issue intermittent or does it always occur every time you try to live stream? Do you see the same behavior when using the web client and mobile app?

JamesC

samman
Tutor
Tutor

Intermittent.

Both web and app.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

samman,

You might try swapping locations with the working camera to see if the behavior follows the camera or the location.

JamesC

Rhpoch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Regret this purchase, the system will notify you if a camera picks up motion but that’s about it. A lot of false alarms, insects setting off camera for example. Audio NEVER works. Tried it all, restart, change batteries, log out/in. So tired of netgear and never getting issues resolved.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rhpoch,

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free, ...

JamesC

Silverdodge
Star
Star

I have same infuriating issue where after live streaming the camera will go into some mode where you get the camera failed to connect message and the only way to fix it is to unplug the camera and plug it back in.   What a piece of junk!

Adietan
Initiate
Initiate
This may not apply to everyone. I recently bought the system for my parents in China. After installing the system I was able to live view for a while and all of the sudden was getting the same “camera failed to connect ...” message. However I can still view recorded clips. After going through the different suggestions in this tread without success I realized at some point I have turned ON VPN on my phone. Once I disabled VPN live view start to work again. Apparently once VPN is ON, my phone no longer belong to the same Network as the camera, which is a requirement for live view to work.
Kfmay29
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought this system 2 weeks ago. My camera was working fine yesterday. It was the only one I had turned on because I was outside all day. It did record a lot of motion videos. The camera battery says 78% left but won’t come on. I logged out and back in and it didn’t help. Please help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base. Verify the firmware is up to date. If needed, try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync.

fbagwill
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same stupid issue!! they worked 2 weeks great now always say cannot connect and I need them the most right now due to some issues!!

jheath961
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying replacing the cat5 cable ,found supplied cord with mine had a bad spot and limited signal strength even though directly connected.

My step brother is a computor engineer and was able to find and resolve this,after arlo support failed to recommend this as a possible cause.(no one is perfect and not bashing arlo) please do not take the statment as a rant.

The cable is folded to point of crimping from being packaged.

Jbcraig2000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also very sorry for this worrisome purchase!  Seeing this product in a lot of stores and I just want to put up a junk sign!