Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Terrible battery life (3/4 cameras)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Medialinx
Star
Star
I've been an arlo customer for nearly two years. It the entire time I've owned these cameras I have never owned such a poor quality and unreliable product. I replaced my batteries in all four cameras last week and 3 out of the 4 of them are now dead. The cameras are positioned correctly. They are not looking at constant motion. They are well situated close to the base station. I have followed every bit of advice netgear have given. I am using high quality batteries. I am spending a fortune.

The cameras simply die and I get no notice. When a camera goes off line surely it would be sensible for arlo to email or tell me? Instead the camera goes offline and then kills the battery by trying to reconnect.

It is clear from this forum that netgear couldn't care less about those people who bought their equipment... Especially the original arlo. It is appalling.

I am simply ranting here as I know there is no solution and you don't care anyway but I am thoroughly peaved off. If I wanted dummy cameras to sit and look good I would have bought that. By buying arlo I may as well have dummy cameras as only one of them properly works... And is of course out of warranty.

Great job netgear.

Ps: you still haven't sorted out the massive live streaming delay and keep telling people it is an acceptable wait. Clearly your idea of acceptable overall is flawed.
3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Medialinx,

If you're seeing this behavior on 3 out of 4 cameras, it sounds like the location of the 3 cameras having an issue could be problematic. Cameras can drop offline due to poor signal strength or interference, which could result in increased battery drain. One way to isolate the issue to determine if there is a problem with the camera or location is to swap the location of the camera that behaves as it should with one of your cameras that is draining battery. This will help determine if the problem follows the camera or the location.

JamesC

Medialinx
Star
Star
James. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting it as your customer service is usually below par. Nothing in my setup has changed in the last two months. The only thing that could have changed is if you pushed a problematic firmware update or the cameras have reached the end of their life. I live in a small house. The camera that seems to be working fine is furthest from the base station. I can see from the Internet that this is a big problem as there are hundreds of people with the same faults. I have spent so much money on your hardware and batteries and too much time troubleshooting to care to make any more effort to get these low quality cameras to work. Do you really think customers should have to continually keep an eye on your product to ensure it is working? Do you think it reasonable for the system to stop working and not make the customer aware? Why no alerts to tell us when they go offline. We just have to wait and login to see... Of course long after the batteries have drained. Do you really believe you got it right with the original Arlo? Do you really believe it wasn't rushed? Do you really standby these pieces of junk? Is this really a one off complaint or incident? They must brainwash their staff where you work!
Medialinx
Star
Star
Ps: i have already done all of the things you suggested in the past and of course it hasn't solved it. Like so many other of your gullable customers have.