Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Tenergy Rechargeable batteries.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
deputidave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm interested in buying the rechargeable batteries for my Arlo system, I of course tried to find a better price online, and was pleased to see that Netgear has a competitive price, plus it's hard to find the 3.7V 650mAh combined with a charger together. But what I did find was many poor ratings and reviews of the Tenergy batteries and chargers.  Some reviews were downright scary with reports of exploding batteries and melted down chargers.  I couldn't find the warranty information on the system offered by You (Netgear/Arlo).  Seeing as how the reviews are lacking for Tenergy i am going to hold out on the purchase until I hear from you.

2 REPLIES 2
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

Check this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-cameras/td-p/1652

I invested in this setup for when my inital Arlo batteries run out.

http://a.co/0dL7WBs

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without knowing which Tenergy batteries were exploding and/or what chargers were used, it's hard to make a blanket statement.  There have been and still are batteries out there with no over/under-charge protection built into them.  The Arlo-supplied Tenergy batteries in fact do have this protection.  Whether Tenergy still makes other models without such protection is unknown.

Also, the specific charger may be the issue.  The cheap crap batteries found on eBay (2800mAH) not only are totally bogusly (is that a word?) rated but hane no protection in them.  The chargers are not intelligent ones so could be the root cause of the issue in the first place.

There are a number of quality batteries and chargers that are being used by Arlo users.  The Arlo-supported Tenergy ones would be a good place to start, especially if you want to ensure warranty coverage.