Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking for a WiFi system for Senior Monitoring

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Rastaozzie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good day - I am looking for a wifi system recommendation to replace an existing system which failing.   I need 4 cameras wth ability to add more. The purpose is to watch my father in law and caregivers in his apartment on my ios or android device or tablet. Activity should be stored in the cloud for access anywhere. Multiple people will need access. 

Thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you there often enough to charge the batteries, or do you need cameras that are powered?

Rastaozzie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. I will need powered.

thanks

@StephenB wrote:

Are you there often enough to charge the batteries, or do you need cameras that are powered?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rastaozzie wrote:

Thanks for replying. I will need powered.

The only wired Arlo cameras are the  Arlo Q and the Arlo Q Plus. The others use batteries.  (The Q Plus can use ethernet, the others are WiFi).

You could also use most the other Arlo cameras by connecting them to a power adapter all the time.   

The original Arlo camera won't work for you, as there is no way to connect it to AC power.  So you'd need to be careful not to buy that one.

The field of view and the resolution are different for the various models:

• Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus: 1080p, 130°
  • Pro: 720p, 130°
  • Pro2: 1080p, 130°
  • Ultra: 4K, 180°

The audio pickup  is the best with the Ultra (which of course is also the most expensive model).

Are you looking for continous recording on all the cameras simultaneously?  Or is it enough to record motion events, and occasionally monitor a camera live? 

The Q-Plus (running over ethernet) might be a good choice if you want continuous recording from more than one camera.  You might need a professional installer to run the ethernet cabling. Though I don't own that particular camera, so hopefully others will chime in. 

Rastaozzie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Motion events only plus live view.  It is important that the audio quality is good.  The most imporant camera will be in the living room where my father in law spends most of his time. I guess the motion will be going off all the time. 

Thanks again.

Lionel