Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sync auro retry needed for Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ryanofford
Tutor
Tutor
I have found a number of times that my Arlo cameras can go offline and stay offline for a prolonged period. This can happen if (for example) I reboot my home router (I suspect there are various reasons though). When this happens I can lose one or more of the cameras until I manually re-sync them. I recently had the situation where 3 cameras were online and 1 offline. The base station was working fine and everything except one camera was on. I wasn't at home so that camera was then useless for several hours. There are currently two easy ways to re-sync the cameras. One is to remove and replace the batteries and the other is to press the re-sync button. None of these options are of any use when I'm not at home to do this. Being away from home is actually when a CCTV system is at its most useful. Had I been on holiday then this would have sat there useless for a couple of weeks What I would like to see us a simple retry (say every 5-10 minutes) so that the base station and cameras that aren't connected will attempt to re-sync. This would help massively and is likely relatively easy. Software wise this would require the camera (which knows it's not connected) to attempt an auto re-sync a few times (without me pressing the button). This should be easy (I'm an ex software developer) and takes a rough edge off this product.
5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@ryanofford

That would be a nice feature. If this happens again, I believe you can reset the base remotely which should resync the cameras.

Brian

ryanofford
Tutor
Tutor

Resetting the base station can be done and is sometimes the reason the cameras go offline believe it or not. Sometimes it will randomly drop one off the cameras. Reboot it enough times and you can sort of cycle through them which helps a little off it is cameras that are mounted high, but again it will require someone to be on site to re-sync any that don't come back online.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ryanofford,

The cameras do automatically attempt to resync when they lose connection with the base station. If they remain offline as you describe, this could be due to poor signal strength or interference that is causing the cameras to struggle maintaining their connection to begin with.

How far from the base station are the cameras that have this issue? What does your signal strength indicator show for those cameras?

JamesC

ryanofford
Tutor
Tutor
It's actually been the nearest camera mostly but could be any of them. Distance is less than 10m. It can sit there for hours without reconnecting (with the other cameras working fine). Pressing reset fixes it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ryanofford,

Try swapping the nearest cameras location with one of your other cameras and see if you still experience the same behavior. This will help isolate if the issue is occurring more due to camera location.

JamesC