Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anyone else notice an increase in the videos smearing at times?  Not browser ( as tested 2 ) and d/ls show the same.

My lag is still fairly short in the range of 1-2 seconds ( or about 3-4 ft ) but smearing has increased.

I don't really care about slight lag problem as an open floor plan allows multiple cams to trigger each other and second cams always get face shots but this smearing just ruins the video.

Data speeds 28Mbs+ down, 6Mbs up, with pings around 10-12ms

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
134 REPLIES 134
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

been following the thread I started,  No help to anyone to having bash fests here...

But will throw in my opinion again.

Original post;

Anyone else notice an increase in the videos smearing at times?  Not browser ( as tested 2 ) and d/ls show the same.

My lag is still fairly short in the range of 1-2 seconds ( or about 3-4 ft ) but smearing has increased.

I don't really care about slight lag problem as an open floor plan allows multiple cams to trigger each other and second cams always get face shots but this smearing just ruins the video.

As mentioned I didn't have any smearing at all till a certain date ( with over 6 Gb of vids since i started Arlo ) tho others were experiencing it now and then with a few having every day. Then it appeared to be on the rise which is why I posted the thread.

For me it started after adding 2 addtional cams with no other changes here ( as with many others )

I still think it's NOT WIFI  but more related to processing of the vids... be it in the base, compression , or far end.  Also along this point after a month it was noted the smearing started to decline again... it has appeared less overall lately.

I'm happy it's somewhat cleared up, but do agree we never got a valid answer as to why ( and may never and I can also live with that if it doesn't occur agn ).

BTW, my Arlo base is aprox 6 ft from my router, 2 ft from a cordless phone base and main computer

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac wrote:

been following the thread I started,  No help to anyone to having bash fests here...

But will throw in my opinion again.

Original post;

As mentioned I didn't have any smearing at all till a certain date ( with over 6 Gb of vids since i started Arlo ) tho others were experiencing it now and then with a few having every day. Then it appeared to be on the rise which is why I posted the thread.

For me it started after adding 2 addtional cams with no other changes here ( as with many others )

I still think it's NOT WIFI  but more related to processing of the vids... be it in the base, compression , or far end.  Also along this point after a month it was noted the smearing started to decline again... it has appeared less overall lately.

I'm happy it's somewhat cleared up, but do agree we never got a valid answer as to why ( and may never and I can also live with that if it doesn't occur agn ).

BTW, my Arlo base is aprox 6 ft from my router, 2 ft from a cordless phone base and main computer

Tom,  you and a number of others are valued contributers to this forum and Netgear is really lucky to have y'all here to give advise on how to get their system working, when it should work as intended right out of the box and as we can all see, it does for a few weeks and then all sorts of issues seem to arise.

I can only say, that my setup was almost exactly like yours, cable gateway at 2.4 and 5ghz, with 2.4ghz telephone and 2.4ghz printer, all within about 8 feet of each other.

The first few weeks out of the box, not a single problem, it worked flawlessly. I was in europe and could stream all 5 of my camera's live and they caught the guys mowing my yard and all the mail deliveries. Then there was an update and everything went to scrap and I still think that is part of the issue.

My problems included only 1 out of 5 cameras online, sometimes 2, sometimes 4, sometimes all of them worked, but mostly, I could only get 2 camera's online at any given time and even that was sketchy. The furthest camera was at 60 feet all the rest were 35 feet or less from the base station in a one story ranch style home.

The little green light on the base station saying your camera's are communicating, doesn't give you enough information, as it will light up green, when only one camera is online, even when the others are offline. Also, the little radar icon doesn't seem accurate, as all my camera's but one had a full 4 bars and the furthest one would go back and forth from 2 to 3 bars, I guess depending on the enviroment, time of day, weather, whatever.

After going through all the support, I got a 50 foot ethernet cable and an extension cord and I just started moving the base station around while watching my laptop and I could actually see it pick up communication with some of the other cameras and then I'd lose that one I just acquired or one of the ones, that was working, very frustrating indeed. I would get all the typical messages, getting status forever, camera offline, base station offline, which seems to correct itself, by logging off then logging back on, but most of the cameras would never be acquired or I'd acquire one, just to lose another.

Finally I got the base station in just the right spot and wham, all 5 camera's just jumped online and no issues at all for a couple of days, except stepping over the 50 foot ethernet cable and the extension cord, I was using for my experiment and then I was back to square one, same messages of being offline and same issues with the cameras.

So, I decided to just take a chance, as it seemed to be a communication/reception issue to me and I figured I had nothing to lose but my frustration and a few more dollars and I jumped out their and purchased a range extender. Again, I had to experiment where to locate the range extender and the base station, but it seems, I've found the sweet spot, at least I hope so. All my 5 of my cameras are within 30 feet or less of the base station, which is in another room about 25 feet from my cable gateway and I haven't had a hiccup in 3 weeks.

Again, your support and input is invaluable to all of us novices out here, I was simply trying to pass on my personal experience, in hopes that it might help someone like me, that was on the verge of pulling their hair out.

At least in my case, it seems to indeed be a wifi issue in combination with the last update netgear pushed through.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

glad its working for you... haven't had to play with an extender ( yet ).

My base unit is elevated in a second floor loft with the farest cam about 60 ft now... could be the elevation helps, who knows.. there's so many variable that can cause wifi to be blocked. 
( had a friend with big wifi problem, turned out he put put up a large room mirror... metal back must have block signal, moved it all was good. )

(PS played  a bit with a cam centered in a 23dbi parabolic antenna... range was over 1/4 mile )

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac wrote:

glad its working for you... haven't had to play with an extender ( yet ).

My base unit is elevated in a second floor loft with the farest cam about 60 ft now... could be the elevation helps, who knows.. there's so many variable that can cause wifi to be blocked. 
( had a friend with big wifi problem, turned out he put put up a large room mirror... metal back must have block signal, moved it all was good. )

(PS played  a bit with a cam centered in a 23dbi parabolic antenna... range was over 1/4 mile )

I think elevation does help, as I had the base station sitting on top of a desk lamp, lamp shade for awhile and everything was working fine, but the wife wasn't about to let me leave it there, with cables and extension cords strung all over the house!!! 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My router and base station are inches from each other but are mounted fairly centrally in the 2 story 1800 SF house. They're on a shelf above stackable washer/dryer and have no problems with signal strength, smearing, odd disconnects, etc.  Maybe the elevation thang is a better first step.

KLG
Tutor
Tutor

Can anyone explain to me why my 2 camera system worked perfectly (except for delay in recording), then developed a severe "smearing" problem "overnight", and has now returned to near perfect performance (little to almost no smearing).  I have not done any of the recommended "remedies" suggested to correct the "smearing" problem.  In fact, everything with my system has remained the same!  I bought Arlo after reading some fairly new positive review articles, just 3 weeks ago.  My theory is that many other people did the same thing and the increased demand on Netgear servers started causing problems.  My second theory is that Netgear wants this system to work and installed a new "bank of servers" to help keep up with demand!  At least I would hope that is the case!  Has anyone else noticed a magical correction of the smearing problem lately?  

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To me it's been hit or miss. Sometimes perfect video sometimes smearing. This is 100% a server overload problem that probably changes due to volume on their servers at any given time. 

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

Showguy wrote:

To me it's been hit or miss. Sometimes perfect video sometimes smearing. This is 100% a server overload problem that probably changes due to volume on their servers at any given time. 

I'm not so sure. I just went through my entire recycle bin of well over 300 clips dating back to 7/28/2015 and while I was experincing the same smearing videos and the green screen in the past, I cannot remember the last time I've had a smeared video and none of the over 300 I just went through in the reycle bin have either issue. I also review my clips on a regular basis, as the hood seems to be gettin larger everyday an like I said, I cannot remember a smearing video clip since I relocated my base station.

KLG
Tutor
Tutor
I reviewed 50 recordings today and only 2 suffered from smearing. Last week I reviewed 50 recordings a day and ALL had smearing but approximatley 2. I have read every entry related to this thread. I really need to know if I should purchase a range extender, 50 foot ethernet cable and extension cord to put distance between my base unit and router, and elevate the base unit up to a second floor (which I don't have), to correct the "environmental problems? Environment or Server & or Programming problem? I read several positive reviews about this system prior to purchase, but it seems like this system is really a work in progress! Like field testing! My problem is I need a reliable system due to my profession. Looks like I may need to buy a time tested system with wires, holes in my house, electrical hook up, ugly profile, and the like.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The50' cable is just for testing unless you really want it.  The second floor isn't necessary but you could use the attic or a high shelf on the first/only floor.  Don't read into things too much and don't hyperventilate. It IS a new system and will take time to mature but it's quite capable if you spend some time to do trial and error.  It's not for everyone and new options, hardware and software, would certainly be appreciated.  Do what you must but be aware that it can be made to work well with some effort.

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

KLG wrote:
I reviewed 50 recordings today and only 2 suffered from smearing. Last week I reviewed 50 recordings a day and ALL had smearing but approximatley 2. I have read every entry related to this thread. I really need to know if I should purchase a range extender, 50 foot ethernet cable and extension cord to put distance between my base unit and router, and elevate the base unit up to a second floor (which I don't have), to correct the "environmental problems? Environment or Server & or Programming problem? I read several positive reviews about this system prior to purchase, but it seems like this system is really a work in progress! Like field testing! My problem is I need a reliable system due to my profession. Looks like I may need to buy a time tested system with wires, holes in my house, electrical hook up, ugly profile, and the like.

It's hard to say KLG. I experiemented with the long ethernet cable and that's what I determined with my personal setup. The cable was cheap, but you won't need it, if you get a range extender. I've talked with netgear about this and I really think they are starting to agree with me, that in the USofA, with all the 2.4 ghz devices, the Arlo system is not going to work for a certain percentage of customers, right out of the box, as intended. I should not have had to jump through all the hoops that I jumped through and I shouldn't have had to purchase a range extender, or go through all the troubleshooting, but that's what  I did, because this was the Arlo system as advertised, was an answer to one of my needs.

The software download to look at your wifi, that was linked earlier in the thread, will give you a pretty fair idea what's going on with the wifi in and around your residence, although I'm not famiiar with it enough, to have figured out all that it's telling me.

I'm still trying to get answers from netgear, even though I haven't had a hiccup in over 3 weeks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

BTW, you don't need that specific software.  There are a ton of apps for mobile devices that will do the same thing as well as programs for computers.

DanishGuy
Initiate
Initiate

I was Wondering if the smearing and lag you all referr to is the same i got, i bought arlo system with 2 cameras, 2 days ago, and today i noticed the footage on cam 2 was terrible lagging and smearing, the connection to the camera is fine, and i have a good connection.

Video of Smearing and Lag

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's the infamous smearing!

-Robert
CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you guys still getting the smearing crappy video quality? Having had excellent quality video since getting Arlo, my system has now developed this issue.

One thing I notice is that when I click on the 'Cameras' tab, then click on the live stream, the quality is very good. However, the recordings from motion detection are terrible, even with Best Video quality selected. They look like they were filmed on a Nokia phone in the year 1995.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Still the same issues here. System worked great for months and has since developed the blotchy video amongst other well documented issues. And yes the quality on live stream is fine.
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

I'm also starting to see smeared video's again and it's a durn shame arlo/netgear can't get it all raked up!

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

While I've cured most of my issues with the range extender, I wish Arlo, would address some of these issues instead of the forum trying to figure out the issues for Arlo!!!

This product, is supposed to work "out of the box"!!! None of us should have to play with the durn thing, or purchase accessories, just to get the durn thing workin as it should!!!

Do we by a toaster to play with??? Nope, we just want to plug it in, throw a couple of slices of bread in it, wait a minute an wahlah, toast!!!

Plug and Play Baby!!! Plug and Play!!!

Get yur durn product working and work for the consumer, instead of the consumer working for you!!!

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can someone at Netgear at least acknowledge this problem exists and it is being formally investigated?

I have only a few days left before I have to decide whether to return Arlo for a refund or keep it. So far all I have seen is this issue being deflected back onto customers, with vague accusations of "wi-fi interference".

I've been in contact with second line support about this, and I feel like I am going around in circles, chasing my tail. The technicians I have spoken to are all very pleasant, well meaning people, but they are clearly out of their depth.

I'd even be happy to beta test if it meant the possibility of getting this thing working properly.

Someone with some authority at Netgear needs to grow a pair and step up to the plate. Hiding behind "our engineers are working hard" is far too vague and elusive. We need specifics.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Cloud hoper keep focused on the most important thing and that is that the smearing issue developed on its own. So no matter what level of support they bump you up too or how many times they have you moving your base unit, buying wifi extenders etc, it's a all a polite stall tactic. They are playing ostrich on this issue because either they can't figure it out or the more likely answer is they don't want to spend the money to support the system properly. They can't hide the fact that users like myself that have had the systems for months without this experiencing this issue now suffer with useless recordings. Blaming the customers environment may work with naive new users, but it will fall on deaf ears with users that actually enjoyed good results for a while.
KLG
Tutor
Tutor
I have had my two camera system for 30 days now, and decided not to return it. I have some kind of "blind trust" (although that may be misplaced trust) that Arlo will fix the camera video recording "smearing" issue. As requested I have sent Arlo numerous examples of the "smearing" videos and all they are now asking me for is "what model are you using". I'm a psychologist and know nothing about camera system technology. I am convinced though that the problem does not lie "within my environment" and the problem lies in overloaded Arlo servers or other issue on their end. I do enjoy the basic simplicity of the system and it does basically meet my needs. The "smearing" issue has gotten somewhat better but does still exist. I just replaced my first batteries after only 30 days use, and would hope I get better battery use this next round after frequent start up use.
Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

I thought I might have resolved by reducing the camera brightness but no.

The smearing still exists which is frustrating because it is usually at the start of the video when the camera has been activated.

I am also experiencing quite a 'delay' from activation until recording but perhaps I should raise that on a new topic.

Quite surprising that there hasn't really been an acknowledgement from Arlo on this board!

KLG
Tutor
Tutor
For me, the "smearing" seems to be "evolving". Most "smearing" appears with people or cars in motion and a distortion of the object in motion. A delayed dragging of the motion. Now, half, or the entire screem seems to distort, with nothing recognizable, then back to "normal" smearing! This is a "new" development. For me, there has always been a 4-6 second delay in activation of recording, so that if someone knocks at the front door, the recording starts 6 seconds later, enough time to actually miss the reording of the person at the door if they move quickly. There is already an extensive thread on that subject.
CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you purchased the product from Amazon, then it would be helpful if you guys could put a review about your Arlo problems there. If Netgear start seeing their sales slide as a result of negative reviews, they may do something about all these issues.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Showguy wrote:
Cloud hoper keep focused on the most important thing and that is that the smearing issue developed on its own. So no matter what level of support they bump you up too or how many times they have you moving your base unit, buying wifi extenders etc, it's a all a polite stall tactic. They are playing ostrich on this issue because either they can't figure it out or the more likely answer is they don't want to spend the money to support the system properly. They can't hide the fact that users like myself that have had the systems for months without this experiencing this issue now suffer with useless recordings. Blaming the customers environment may work with naive new users, but it will fall on deaf ears with users that actually enjoyed good results for a while.

That's what I have been saying extenders, 50' cables, etc. etc.  Come on, this just showed up out of nowhere.  I shouldn't complain, I haven't done a thing and I have no smearing.  Again I say go figure.  This is on the backend and not on ours guys/gals.  We need Netgear to get their infrastructure right so it's good for all of us!

-Robert