Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anyone else notice an increase in the videos smearing at times?  Not browser ( as tested 2 ) and d/ls show the same.

My lag is still fairly short in the range of 1-2 seconds ( or about 3-4 ft ) but smearing has increased.

I don't really care about slight lag problem as an open floor plan allows multiple cams to trigger each other and second cams always get face shots but this smearing just ruins the video.

Data speeds 28Mbs+ down, 6Mbs up, with pings around 10-12ms

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
134 REPLIES 134
JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

In my case, once it started with my original camera it never went away.  I've tried all the suggestions, reseting the base station, reseting the camera, moving the base station, etc.  I now have two cameras, the old one (Christmas present) consistently shows the smearing, while the new one does not.  That seems pretty definitive to me.  If anything *other* than a problem with the camera was causing the problem I would expect that external issue to cause trouble for both, but because only one is affected that rules out external issues.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JethroXP,

If you're still experiencing this issue on this camera, please contact the Arlo Support Team for further investigation. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James, I've done that and they authorized an RMA, I'm sending the bad one back today.  I appreciate the support!

RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I Totally Agree With Your Comments! What A Truly **bleep** System This Is I Regret Purchasing This System as I was contemplating on buying this Camera for about A Year! What A Cheat! Almost all the problems you have described Is exactly what I am currently facing. Plus The Stupid Arlos Support Is Really **bleep** and useless at helping to resolve the problems!
RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant

JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

The RMA worked for me, I got a new camera in about a week and it's been working fine.  Support was excellent!

Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

Just an update on the problem I had originally with 'smearing' videos, despite NOT doing anything that Arlo suggested, ie: move base station etc, the problem has now gone away and has done for quite a few weeks.

I suggest then it was never MY problem and Arlo have done something that has rectified the situation!!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I suggest then it was never MY problem and Arlo have done something that has rectified the situation!

Even at the beginning of the thread, It hasn't really been thought to be the end user's fault... except in the rare case of interference

RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I took your suggestion and changed my 2 cameras aswell as the Base station for a new set. Unfortunately the smearing has gotten worse and at times the whole screen turns greened out. I've given up on this system. Even my Night Vision now doesn't seem to Toggle off when lighting conditions are good
RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I Totally agree! Why should we have to move our Base station? This is suppose to be a Wireless Camera. If the base station signals cannot even detect the camera and trigger it off at 20 feet through the door. How can Arlo claim that it can be used outdoors??
JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

Save yourself the frustration, just request an RMA on the cameras.  I got a replacement in about a week and it works perfectly.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The smearing likely (but not absolutely) relates to a connection issue someplace. I'd try putting the cameras maybe in the same room as the base and set them off to test whether that allows proper operation. If so, keep moving them to new locations to test.  Distance isn't the only thing that gets in there because stuff in the walls, construction materials, etc. all get in there, as well as 2.4GHz interference.  Your situation may be somehow out of the norm leading to a poor signal.

Might as well do a speed test at speedtest.net, too, just to rule that out.

RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the thoughts on the issues I am facing.  Yes I did do a speed test and have ruled that out as my upload speeds and down load speeds are ok.  I think the problem here is that as you menitoned that since this being a wireless camera depending on the WiFi signals which have to penetrate through that concrete wall and wooden door that I have in between my camera and base station, I can only think of this as a more logical explanation to the smearing and green blacked out videos which I occasionally receive. 

RO71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was just wondering how is your situation? Are your cameras positioned outdoors or indoors nearer to the base station? Also is there a clear line of sight penetration of the Wifi signal onto the camera?

KLG
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

I have the two camera system. Both of my cameras are placed outside, one on a sidewall facing the front door, and the other on a sidewall facing my parking. I have used Arlo daily for I guess about six month's now. I know little about the technical aspect of the system. However, I have read every posting, reference the "smearing" problem. My base station, cameras, etc. have remained in the same position since initial install. My system performance has gone from great, poor, very poor, and now mostly good again, reference the smearing problem! At times the "smearing" of a passing person or car would run the length of the recording. Other times, it would come and go. Then I started getting "green" "smearing" where the screen would turn mostly green with motion "smearing". Lately I've been getting "black out" screen recordings, where it starts to record, then turns black with no "smearing" as the screen is black! The "smearing" problem has mostly cleared and I am by in large pleased with the system (I havn't always felt that way).

My assessment is that the problem lies with Arlo and their servers, and their system updates, or needed updates. I think it's a rapidly growing business and they have not kept up on the "server" end. However, Arlo would never admit this! They always put the problem off on the "user", placement of hardware, etc. At one point about 3 month's ago the smearing problem was so "global" that Arlo put in an update to the system, and miraculously the smearing problem improved.

KLG
Tutor
Tutor

To Arlo's credit, they seem to "trying" to fix the "smearing" or what I also call "ghosting" problem, and I believe that they want a successful company and product.  The problem has improved to the point where I just bought a second system for my cabin.  Ease of install and use has mostly been meeting my needs lately.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

RO71 wrote:

I was just wondering how is your situation? Are your cameras positioned outdoors or indoors nearer to the base station? Also is there a clear line of sight penetration of the Wifi signal onto the camera?

All my wireless cameras are outdoors and none have a clear line of sight. None are further than 20 feet from a base or R7000 router (I use both). I do get what I surmise would be smearing but I actually put that down to my piddly 1Mbs upload speed and multiple cameras recording. It varies...

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Recently, I've seen this issue too and it was not nearly as common as it is now. What gives? I have TWO cameras and they've been fine for about a year. They do not always have full wifi bars, but neither did they when all worked as expected. I see others in this thread have full wifi bars, so that can be ruled out as a reason. ALL points to Arlo it would seem. There is no rhyme or reason as to when this happens - it's ANY damn time it feels like it. Let's get this addressed! If you need any other info from me, I'll provide it. 

FW version - 1.7.5_6178

HW version - VMB3010r2

KLG
Tutor
Tutor
The problem is due to Arlo server overload! It has nothing to do from the owner. At least that is my guess and I know little of such things.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned, either a streaming problem or combo with the compression use for the data

It's been good lately, pretty stable, haven't seen it in a month.

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks to all who replied, but so far, I have yet to see what needs to be done to solve it. Again, my cams are both outside, yes, they are a fair distance from the base station, but that has NOT changed and this issue is getting beyond pathetic. I fear calling Arlo support because a: you get people who don't speak properly and b: give you crap from a script. I can do better on my own. But if someone has some GOOD, detailed steps to take OR if this is actually an issue Arlo may be "working on", I'd like to know that. Thank you again! 

JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

For me the issue was solved by RMAing the camera.  It was an easy process and I had the replacement camera in hand within a week.

JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

KLG wrote:
The problem is due to Arlo server overload! It has nothing to do from the owner. At least that is my guess and I know little of such things.

I don't understand how you can make a definitive statement such as "its server overload!" and then go on to state that you are guessing and actually don't know anything.  I get it that you are frustrated, but how does making wildly speculative statements help you or anybody else with this problem?  If you are looking for examples of what worked, try this, return the camera for a warrantee replacement.  That fixed the problem for me.  Making stuff up only hurts others who are looking for help with this issue.

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I kinda find it hard to believe that TWO cameras "died in the weeds" around the same time. If it were one camera, yea, I'd buy the thought that it's a camera problem, but two? Not so much. Also, others have reported this. Again, I just would appreciate solid, fact-based solutions. Even educated guesses are great at this point. But the one person who said it may be server related and he knew nothing about it - seriously?? Where's the admin on this site to manage such posts???

JethroXP
Tutor
Tutor

Did you get the camera's as the same time?  Typically manufacturing defects are systemmic, meaning that batches of units manufacutered at the same time will exhibt the same defect.  If yours were part of the same batch it is actually more likely they would both have the same problem.