Smarthub difference

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the difference between vmb4540 vs vmb5000 ?

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The major differences are 1) the VMB4540 uses a USB drive for local recordings vs. a micro SD card for the 5000 and 2) the VMB4540 supports only the 2.4GHz band while the 5000 supports both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

And de vmb5000 is the newest smarthub?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

And de vmb5000 is the newest smarthub?

Actually the VMB4540 is a bit newer.  The VMB5000 was launched with the Ultra (late 2018), the VMB4540 was launched with the Pro 3 (late 2019)

Both smarthubs have the same camera compability list. The VMB5000 is somewhat more expensive ($100 vs $150 in the US). The 5 ghz feature is of limited value (both because it has shorter range than 2.4 ghz wifi, and because most Arlo cameras don't have a 5 ghz radio).  

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the VMB4540 better for the future?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

So the VMB4540 better for the future?

No.  But if you'd asked "Is the VMB5000 better for the future?", I'd have answered "No" to that too.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, bu i want buy a smarthub. 
Which of the two do you recommend?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

Okay, bu i want buy a smarthub. 
Which of the two do you recommend?

If the USB vs microSD difference doesn't matter to you, then I'd go with the VMB4540, as it is less expensive.  

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

And there is no difference in speed, stability, quality, or compatibility?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

And there is no difference in speed, stability, quality, or compatibility?

The compatibility list is the same.

No difference in the specs other than dual-band and the USB/microSD.  No difference in performance or reliability that I've seen (I have both).

If you are worried about it, just get the more expensive one.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@StephenB isn't it that vmb5000 is advertised as having a faster processor, though a good question in relation to what other model? Probably a marketing trick as it might have been compared to Vmb4000? Also, would the SD card reader on the former not offer faster speeds than USB A 2.0 on the VMB5000 if comparing storage like for like?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

isn't it that vmb5000 is advertised as having a faster processor

Not anywhere I've seen (and I just looked).  If you are seeing Arlo advertise that, please provide a link.

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

Also, would the SD card reader on the former not offer faster speeds than USB A 2.0 on the VMB5000 if comparing storage like for like?

USB-2 is much faster than needed to keep up with the advertised 5 simultaneous streams, so this is not something that makes any practical difference.

FWIW, 5 Ultra streams require < 15 mbps or < ~2 MB/s.  

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the VMB5000 is faster?
If the price difference is that big then there must be more difference than just 5ghz and the type of storage port?

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Unless we fell for it again 🙄

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

So everyone thinks you should buy the vmb4540? Or maybe someone knows if there will be a newer version soon?