Smart Hub - Control Smart Relay with Dry Contacts

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
PaulCarlier
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just purchased and set up a wire free video doorbell and a smart hub.  I have a telephone system (PBX) with phones in all rooms and outbuildings.  The existing door bell is wired to the door phone port of the PBX which is programmed to set all extensions ringing with a distinct tone when the button is pressed. 

I would like to add a smart relay with a set of volt free contacts to do the same for the PBX when the Arlo doorbell button is pressed.  Arlo doesn't make a suitable device, so it would have to be a third party one.  I have found the Shelly1, but I am not sure if this will work with Arlo smart hub.  I cannot ascertain for sure whether they will both work with IFTTT or some other common protocol.  Any other relay would do, but it has to have volt free contacts and not just switch the mains.  Also, one already in an enclosure would be good, otherwise I will need to mount it in a suitable box.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PaulCarlier wrote:

I would like to add a smart relay with a set of volt free contacts to do the same for the PBX when the Arlo doorbell button is pressed.  Arlo doesn't make a suitable device, so it would have to be a third party one.  I have found the Shelly1, but I am not sure if this will work with Arlo smart hub. 

Just to make sure I understand this...

You want to remove the existing doorbell, and replace it with the Shelly 1 IoT relay.  Then you need to get a signal from from the Arlo system to trigger that relay when the Arlo doorbell is pressed.  

Is that correct?

Arlo has some support for ifttt, smarthings, google home, and apple homekit.  

But I don't think any of those options can be used to trigger the relay when the doorbell is pressed.  There are other folks here who've done more with these services than I have - hopefully they will join the thread.

That said, it might be possible to trigger the PBX port using the wiring built into the Arlo Doorbell.  

Do you know if the PBX port is delivering low-voltage AC power?  If you don't know, can you measure the voltage at the existing doorbell using a voltmeter?

Also, is the Arlo doorbell powered?  Or are you running it using the battery?

PaulCarlier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firstly thank you for the reply and apologies for the delay in responding; I expected to be sent an email to say someone had responded, but this didn't happen.

In answer to your questions, I have an existing non-smart wireless doorbell that operates on VHF.  The chime is situated next to the PBX and has a pair of dry contacts that are wired to the door phone terminals of the PBX.  As you surmise, I want to use the Arlo doorbell, mainly for when I am not at home to be able to talk to callers and for security reasons.  However, I also want it to trigger the PBX to ring all extensions as with the existing doorbell for when I am at home.  One solution is a note asking callers to press both doorbells, but this is inelegant and probably cannot be relied upon.  The other is to set up a smart relay such as the Shelly1.

I am using the doorbell in the wireless mode, as the building is listed and it is difficult to get wiring there discreetly without removing 200 year old panelling and subsequently redecorating.

If all else fails, I could use an Arlo compatible smart light switch, incorporate it in a suitable box and fit it with a mains lead (I have power next to the PBX).  I could wire the output to a conventional relay that operates at mains voltage and wire the dry contacts thereof to the PBX.  More involved than the Shelly1 which effectively combines these two devices, but if there is no alternative....

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PaulCarlier wrote:

I have an existing non-smart wireless doorbell that operates on VHF.  

Ok, so no wiring for either doorbell and not practical to add wiring.  And the existing chime obviously won't work with the Arlo doorbell.

Arlo doesn't provide any accessories that can easily drive the PBX, so getting this to work the way you want will require some experimentation.  

Unfortunately Arlo hasn't done much with third-party integration.  Something like the Shelly 1 could maybe work, but you'd need to use IFTTT or maybe Smarthings to trigger it from the doorbell.  Not something I've tried, but there are some other posters here who have used these tools.

PaulCarlier
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  My conclusion from searching the web is much the same as yours.  I have the Arlo smart hub, which may or may not help.  I do not know much about the capabilities of IFTTT, but i will start to look. 

I have recently realised that I have a partial solution already. I have a device called a LiGo Bluewave which links up to three  mobile phones to a landline handset via Bluetooth.  I have it connected to one of the exchange lines of the PBX, We can leave our mobiles on charge in a central location and they work through the PBX as if they were a landline (a bit like the hands free set up in a car.)  Thus when the doorbell button is pressed, the fact that the mobile rings set the PBX lines ringing.  I can't tell whether it's a phone call or the door until I answer it, but it is better than nothing.  The only problem is that if I am out with the mobile, the rest of the household has no alert, so I do need a proper fix longer term.

Doctorsatan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I've done this:

- arlo camera alarmed

- ifttt with a link between arlo and Smartlife >> when camera detect movement than trigger a Smartlife light (a led light - Tuya may be - i switch on by means of smartlife app)

- a shelly light sensor will trigger my shelly 1 and makes a ring sound

No other way found.

Unfortunately IFTTT standard subscription provide you with just 2 applets