Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Settings

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Gene99
Tutor
Tutor

The settings menu in the manual doesn't seem to look like the settings menu on the screen when I log into my account. I downloaded the ARLO User Manual. I'm thinking that the manual may be outdated? The issue date is October 2015.

I'm trying to access/change preferences under System settings and don't see them. Other things are missing as well. Eg. All Base Station Home settings, Is my software on the system outdated. Do I need an upgraded Service Plan to access these settings?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Everybody sees the same thing.  The manual doesn't reflect the recent changes but does work to a degree to introduce you to the concepts.  Just remember that you need to build rules and modes to customize the cameras and set a useful schedule.  It's just the locations and display that changed, not the underlying concepts.

It's been reported here that using the Help function while attempting to configure is a real boon.  I haven't tried it myself so can't comment on the usefulness.

Gene99
Tutor
Tutor

Will there be an updated manual or User Guide available? Maybe I just haven't found it? Each time an update is made to the software I'm thinking there should be update to manual. I looked at the manual I printed off and it's dated October 2015. The software was updated at end of December, just before I bought the system.Big difference in the menu!! Seriously thought something wrong with system, or me. After reseaching and viewing items here in the community found the information about changes to the menu.

My system works well so far, but after seeing issues that a lot of folks are having with the system, I'm concerned. I'm still playing with the system and will try to set schedules and modes. Hopefully all will be fine.Just to check with you: What is the latest guide or manual version and if it's newer than October 2015, where can I find it on line?

thanks,

Gene

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gene99,

We are in the process of updating the Arlo User Manual to reflect the changes brought by the most recent release. You will be able to find it here when it is available: Where can I find the user manuals for the Arlo Wire-Free camera and Arlo Q?

JamesC

Suzq4653
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gene -  I am having the same issue. Been searching for system settings to set preferences and can't find them anywhere. Did you finally find them, if so where? Thank you in advance for any help you could offer 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Suzq4653 wrote:

Gene -  I am having the same issue. Been searching for system settings to set preferences and can't find them anywhere. Did you finally find them, if so where? Thank you in advance for any help you could offer 

Did you check the link in the message above yours?  General preferences are in the Settings tab while rules and modes, along with their associated settings, are in the Mode tab.  Choose your system and create or edit whatever modes you want.

Arlo123123
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do I make changes to rules within the arlo app?
Gene99
Tutor
Tutor

Here's what I do and I'm not the expert, just another customer.

Click on the Base Station under "My Devices"
Select "Armed" or "All motion On" by clicking on the pencil symbol, which ever one you want to change
Click on the camera you want to change the rule on. I have four cameras.
Update the three areas of the rule. You need to set the recording length and sensitivity as well
Then click save.
Do this for all your cameras.Don't forget to hit save after each change.
Once completed go back to the Base Station and leave the unit in the mode you want it. Pick one of four
I usually put it in "Armed" and go test my changes.
I always test after setting/changing the rule.
I walk around the house with my IPAD.

If needed I go back and tinker with the settings. 

Most of this stuff I just played around to find and set. The manual is outdated so I ignored it and just started looking around the menus. It's not too bad. You can't really hurt anything.

I have a technical background so that helps a bit.

Hopefully the "expert" will jump in and fill in the blanks if I missed something

Gene

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You got it right.  The one thing I would do is to not edit the default modes/rules but create your own.  That way you always have the stock ones to fall back on for viewing or troubleshooting.  Creating a mode and rules is very simple and takes only a few minutes to set up.  Once there, modify at will and blow them off if something goes awry.