Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Secure boxes to house outdoor cameras

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 33 Likes
  • 16 In Conversation
Patrick_C
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I have the wirefree Arlo camera.

I am looking for a secure metal box to house my camera outside. The location would be installed at the street level, so it needs to be difficult to break into. I think I need something that can be screwed into a wooden wall. Of course, there needs to be a hole in the front for the camera to see thru.

I don't think the solution needs to completely hide the camera, but it needs to be secure.

I have limited light at night at teh installation location, so I don't think I can turn off the red night lights.

A simple metal cage taht could be installed securely to a wooden wall might be an option.

I've looked at juction boxes (even bought a couple), but don't see anything that seems to work. The boxes are either not strong enough, appears easy to open with a screw driver quickely or just not quite big enough.

The perfect thing in my mind is a strong metal birdhouse (with a hole for the camera) and straps to securely attach the cage to the wall OR a key lock to open the door.

I really have been searching the web and spending time at the hardware store.

I'd really appreciate suggestions.

Best,
Patrick

41 REPLIES 41
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Tatoosue
Apprentice
Apprentice

I believe that Arlo should, with all of their tech knowledge, know how, etc., could come up with a wire cage that would secure our Arlo wireless units,  and offer it to their customers.  This seems to be the least they could do.  I live in a condo, and my wireless on the front is totally unsecured.  Come on Arlo!!

Tatoosue
Apprentice
Apprentice

If this is the second time that you have received this, I apologize, because after I pretty much said the same thing previously, the website kicked my last message out - I think.

Why should Arlo's customers have to "search" for a device to make Arlo's product secure?  I have "searched", and the options are very convoluted.  I have communicated with one "wire cage" provider who referred me to "Graybar", but why should me, as an "Arlo customer" have to do all of that.  The options that were provided did not allow access to the cameral to easily replace the batteries, overall not a good answer.

I have just posted a request to Arlo to please consider their customers, as well as any new customers, and design some sort of cage/box that would take care of this.  I live in a condo, and the camera on my front is totally unsecured.  It is quite disconcerting.  With all of Arlo's design people, you cannot tell me that this cannot be accomplished and offered to Arlo's current and prospective customers.  Thank you for listening/reading my rant, but it is totally directed to Arlo.

Spy40
Star
Star
Has anyone resolved this and found a workable solution. I'm looking to fully enclose a camera if anyone has any ideas ?
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same problem and I find the Arlo Pro security cameras very unsecure. The cameras cost too much to have stolen and when installed at the recommended height can easily be removed and taken away by a thief. Surely for a security camera it should have a secure mount or a secure cage.

F150Fan
Star
Star
I've done some internet searching and thus far can't find anything specific to meet the need. If you, or someone you know it's handy, you may be able to modify a security box designed for a trail camera. They sell for around $30-40.
Spy40
Star
Star

I could make one but need an example to copy off tbh. I also don't know if fully enclosing it will affect the WiFi signal.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have also done some searching for a cage to secure my outdoor cameras. I have found one that if a bit wider and deeper would be great but I will continue to search but Netgear should be able to come up with one.

Here is the link:https://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/protective-covers-cages/motion-detector-protector-...

Hope it helps.

F150Fan
Star
Star

@Spy40

I think that the WIFI signal may be less of a factor than the ability of the camera"s PIR function being affected, as well as, viewable range angle. If the box had an opening where the front of the camera could be positioned right against it, that might alleviate those concerns. I say, give it a shot!

aahigh
Guide
Guide

I wanted to add my weight to this argument.  There should be a simple and functional design from Arlo that works as this is a weak point of the cameras.  They can still be spray-painted and vandalized, but avoiding the theft of a $200 item when you have a $250 deductible is something that customers want.

In general, you should never say "we can't do that" you should say "this is what it would cost" if you refuse to do the work.

I would pay $100 for such a cage if Arlo made one that was designed specifically for the Pro, and that should give enough of a margin for them even if there is no demand.

They have GREAT products, but they are missing the demand here, no matter how small, to help prevent the cameras from being stolen.

nefertiti007
Star
Star

Acrylic Dome / Plastic Hemisphere - Clear

aahigh
Guide
Guide

I was unaware that the motion sensor would sense motion through acrylic.  I know it won't do so through glass.

Do you have a specific link to one that has been used successfully with an Arlo Pro without severely affecting the motion-detection hardware?

nefertiti007
Star
Star

the problem will be when you have to take them off to re-charge the batteries. unless you hard wire them with the power and secure them

aahigh
Guide
Guide

Going back to my original point, instead of not offering a product, offer a product that you can monetize and work towards improvements from there.  They have a solar product.  There are solutions for many different problems, there just isn't really any solution to the problem that your cameras can currently be stolen very easily.

Even if the solution were for NetGear to offer camera insurance, it's a solution to the problem of having to endure the volatile costs of criminals stealing cameras.

Once you have replaced a camera three times due to theft, you are in a unique club that understands this problem.

Why NetGear has chosen to simply not address this problem is the curiosity.

I don't see that they even have a way to disable a stolen camera.  It's almost as if they wish to create a black market for stolen cameras if I did not know any better.

But let me state it one more time: tell us what it would cost instead of not offering a solution.

There really is no solution right now for protecting the Arlo from being stolen or vandalized that I know of.  It is, by definition, a vulnerable and relatively expensive home camera at this point in time.

nefertiti007
Star
Star

very true.

frustrating ! 

Spy40
Star
Star
Would the plastic some still not produce ghosting/reflection on the image off the IR?
Collywog1
Star
Star
I have one of those cages around an arlo camera after some kids came down my drive (it’s half way down, up a tree) with masks on to throw stones at it. The problem I find with them is you sacrifice night vision as it seems to shine back at night off the cage and you can’t see anything.
Collywog1
Star
Star
I have one of those cages in front of one of my cameras, it still triggers when it detects motion but I can not see what has triggered it, as the the cameras night vision reflects off the cage.
aahigh
Guide
Guide

Just re-iterating my position.  Netgear has simply refused to offer a solution to this problem as of yet (at ANY price point), and to the best of my knowledge.  It's relatively obvious that they could provide a solution, even if it wasn't cheap, to eliminate the volatility of the cost of owning an Arlo, Arlo Pro, or Arlo Pro2 security system.

It's a mistake for Netgear to continue to enable criminals to monetize stolen cameras at the expense of their customers.  Especially considering that the cameras are, by definition, placed where criminals are suspected to reside.

Maybe if the Arlo developers were relocated from where they live now to where I live in the Tower District of Fresno California, they'd realize that theft of their cameras defeats the entire purpose of the system.

http://abc30.com/thieves-targeting-homes-and-businesses-for-surveillance-cameras-newest-crime-trend-...

Arlo deveopers are "out of touch" with regards to this issue, and in my opinion.

DavidLlM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I completely agree with the comments below that Netgear should address this issue. I hadn't realised before purchase how insecure the standard 'screw-on' mounts are, and it's not acceptable. But we are where we are, so like others I've been looking at workarounds, and see two possibilities:

1. Use small cages around external cameras, mounted with hinges and security screws so you can access cameras for charging. Here's a link to one that I've found (in the UK) that is large enough to house a camera on magnetic ball mount: https://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/protective-covers-cages/ssp-heavy-duty-sounder-cag...

Question: To anyone who's tried this kind of steel cage: are there interference issues with the wifi signal and/or camera/infrared functionality?

2. The only other idea I have is to use Loctite superglue to fix the screw threads on an external wall mount - at least then a thief would need to use serious force to remove a camera - as distinct from simply unscrewing it by hand! I can barely believe that Netgear has been so successful in selling a 'security' product that is itself completely insecure.

Question: Has anyone tried the superglue solution, and does it work OK?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For the record, no camera mount is totally secure. It all depends on where/how it's mounted as well as the determination of the thief. Personally, I'd just use a paint spray can to block the recording rather than steal it. Are you going to say NG doesn't protect for that, too?

Superglues only have tensile strength (pulling directly apart). It does little in a twisting direction - it will just pop free. It will suspend an elephant as long as the elephant doesn't move around.

DavidLlM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I take jguerdat's point that no camera mount is totally secure - the same goes for various light fittings etc. around my house. But all of these fittings (each far less valuable than an Arlo camera) at least requires a thief to have tools for loosening multiple screws - not just a simple hand twist. The issue is the degree of insecurity, I think.

I think that the 'metal cage' solution (my first idea in Reply 21 above) will work for me, provided that the metal doesn't have serious impact on the wifi signals. So I'm very interested to hear of any experience with this approach.

ijg1963
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’d suggest the answer is pretty straight forward. It’s not in their best corporate interest to make sure the cameras aren’t stolen. If you have 6 or 10 and 1 is stolen, you have to buy a new one.
momoney8
Tutor
Tutor

Hello I have 2 Arlo Cameras and am also concerned about them being stolen. I've looked all over and most of the cage camera protectors are in the UK. I just purchased 2 wire cages from Home Depot I think will work. Below is the info.   As far as  vandals spray painting them, Im at a Loss! 

Safety Technology International -Motion Detector Damage Stopper.

Model # STI-9621   Internet #205113242

At Home Depot USA