Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 33 Likes
  • 16 In Conversation
Patrick_C
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I have the wirefree Arlo camera.

I am looking for a secure metal box to house my camera outside. The location would be installed at the street level, so it needs to be difficult to break into. I think I need something that can be screwed into a wooden wall. Of course, there needs to be a hole in the front for the camera to see thru.

I don't think the solution needs to completely hide the camera, but it needs to be secure.

I have limited light at night at teh installation location, so I don't think I can turn off the red night lights.

A simple metal cage taht could be installed securely to a wooden wall might be an option.

I've looked at juction boxes (even bought a couple), but don't see anything that seems to work. The boxes are either not strong enough, appears easy to open with a screw driver quickely or just not quite big enough.

The perfect thing in my mind is a strong metal birdhouse (with a hole for the camera) and straps to securely attach the cage to the wall OR a key lock to open the door.

I really have been searching the web and spending time at the hardware store.

I'd really appreciate suggestions.

Best,
Patrick

41 REPLIES 41
brh
Master
Master

Here is what i have done for mine. Ugly but pretty secure.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Plastic-Mount-for-Security/idi-p/1481210

You can drill a hole in the side for horizontal mounting to the eaves of your house or make the hole in the bottom for vertical mounting.

Brian

DavidLlM
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks, Brian. I used small wire cages with security screws in the end - also works well.
DavidLlM
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks - I also used cages, with security screws, and they work well.
DavidLlM
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks - I also used cages, with security screws, and they work well.
ruby01
Guide
Guide
I purchased a security camera dome from a electronic store and modified it to suit. Hopefully my photo up loads which may help others.
momoney8
Tutor
Tutor
Looks like a very good idea. Now is it opened in front. You might give us a full description on what you modified. What would keep thieves from taking the camera? Thank you so much for posting!
nefertiti007
Star
Star

but the pain of taking it out and putting it in for the battery chraging ... 😞

brh
Master
Master

@nefertiti007

If you can use the Arlo Solar panel you shouldn't have to take it down.

Brian

ruby01
Guide
Guide
I've taken some more pics to help describe the mounting of the camera. Once I bought the dome I bent some scrap metal I had into a stretched Z sort of shape so I could screw the camera to dome and the stretched Z shape metal to the camera. The standard thread on the camera is I'm assuming a camera specific type thread as I couldn't find a screw to fit nicely but the one I used worked good enough to hold strong. Drilled and tapped a hole to mount stretched Z shape to the dome in the right direction I wanted the camera to face. Used a small hole saw to cut a hole in the polycarbonate as the IR Light would reflect off it making it useless at night. If average Joe like myself can make this surely Netgear can. Can only upload one photo at a time for some reason.
ruby01
Guide
Guide
Another photo
ruby01
Guide
Guide
One more photo
ruby01
Guide
Guide
Description of the dome used
momoney8
Tutor
Tutor
Well we picked up our cages. The big factor is the camera is looking through a wire cage. Not a clear view. So like you we are gonna cut enough out of the wire cage, so that the camera will have a clear view. I liked the way you secured your camera in the dome. Thanks your great idea!
aahigh
Guide
Guide

Maybe just hiding the camera better with camoflauge is a good strategy if you haven't had issues yet, also.  I painted mine to blend in for as many spots as it made sense.  When they are extra high I make them very visible, but if they are in reach, I try to keep them from sticking out so that, at least, they have to get close enough to see details before they start to cover their face, and then they are discouraged from taking the camera.

There are many factors to this equation, but it's really more an issue of consternation that there isn't a product for this very clear need, IMO.

MarkWynne
Initiate
Initiate

I concur - its a shame there isn't a secure box, all thats required is a plastic box that wraps around the camera with the opening for the front of the camera to prevent hands getting at the screw at the back, locked with security screw or combination locking mechanism...I will have to fashion something out of a cage which will detract from the good design of the device.

aahigh
Guide
Guide

Yeah, if Netgear bore the burden of stolen cameras, they'd have a product.  But they just aren't wanting to give up the per-camera profit for a per-plastic-box profit.  That'd be my guess.

When you think about the opportunity for margin rather than raw dollar value profit, though, if you're not Netgear, you're not worried about cannibalizing the profit on the camera.

It's just a matter of time before someone has an Arlo Pro specific box as you describe.  It's easy to see how cheap it'd be to have it made and shipped from china in giant quantities.  Seems like an easy giant-positive-EV wager to me.  Especially if you have experience dealing with import brokers and having custom items made in China.  Piece of cake.