Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Second camera shows in Cameras but not in My Devices

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
262Jane
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a basic Arlo set-up and had one camera. I was able to sync the new 2nd one to the base and it will show under cameras however it is not recording on motion. I have tried syncing several times, I've tried changing the order, and I attempt to make new rules under its number.

For my first device, it shows under "My Devices" with "All Motion On". This is what I want for #2. How can I get that serial # to show? This is getting kind of crazy.

Thank you!!!

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This sounds like you're using an old version of the app or web site.  The new version has all modes and settings under the Mode tab, not in Settings.  Make sure you're running the current app or flush the cache in your browser (or use a different browser).

An issue that keeps popping up is using old modes after the update early this year. Instead of using All Motion On, look at Armed, the new mode that turns all cameras on. Does your camera show there?

262Jane
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your response! So i cleared cache/cookies/everything. I see "armed" now but only the old camera is listed. If I go tocameras, it is there however. I can do live shots from it but am not seeing anywhere to program it. Very perplexing.

I wonder maybe the next step is to delete it, recycle the base station, then re-add?

Camera #1 caught someone who looked like they were scoping out the house (carport then backyard then frontyard) so camera #2 was purchased to cover more of the property.

Jane 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To make sure I understand, under the Armed mode only one camera, the original, shows? That's odd. I'd remove the new camera from your setup under Settings and then sync/add it again. Does it show now? You can always edit your modes, including Armed, to add the camera but it should be automatic in that specific mode.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

You can always edit your modes, including Armed, to add the camera but it should be automatic in that specific mode.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that statement is completely accurate regarding the Armed mode. There is no way to manually add a rule to the Armed mode.

The default Armed mode is special in that it always includes all connected cameras and contains exactly one rule per camera. You can't delete existing or add new rules in this mode. However, you can edit the rules and change any parameter, just like you can in a custom mode. Adding a camera to the system will automatically add a rule to the Armed mode for that camera, without any manual intervention.

The fact that a camera would show on the Cameras tab and you can live-view it, but not have a rule in the Armed mode is quite unusual.

If removing and readding (i.e. resyncing) the camera via the UI does not work, I'd try a total system reset. I think that is done by holding down the reset button on the base station for an extended period of time until some light blinks; sorry I don't do this very often, so I don't know for sure. Resync your cameras after that and see if you're still having problems.

262Jane
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, I want to thank everyone for their responses. Sorry for the late reply, we were on our way out on vacation, hence the second camera and trying to get it to comply. I am back now and will start on it again this weekend. I'll go through all the possible solutions, hopefully one helps! I will report back 🙂

Hey, out of curiosity and this is out of scope, I have a netgear wifi extender that works with our alarm system. I got another one to work with the new camera (in theory) to boost the signal to get it to a different area of the property. I am having drama with it all, granted I was in a hurry but I wondered if maybe there can't be more than one? I'll research that further, I just didn't know if anyone looking at this has had experience with it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dunno why multiple extenders would be an issue but I only have one so I can't tell you from personal experience.

As for using it for better signal for the camera(s), remember that you can't do a thing with the base to camera connection.  All you can do is use the extender to reposition the base to a more favorable location.

Hacker1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  Only one camera is showing up and I cannot set it to record.  Did you get this resolved?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try removing it in Settings, My Devices and resync it. Of course, if the batteries are dead, just replacing them would be useful.

7D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was this ever resolved? How? After working good for months, my system has developed the exact same problem. None of the earlier suggestions have worked.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What have you tried?  Be explicit and complete.  What firmware versions are installed?  What happens when you open and close the battery door?

7D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. After several attempts at power cycling the camera, removing and and re-adding the camera and base station, power cycling and hard resetting the base station, and uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app, the problem has gotten worse. Now neither (of 2) Wire-free cams appears under "MY DEVICES" via "Mode". The Base station and Arlo Q are now the only devices listed. I'm unable to arm and disarm the Wire-free cams independently. Now the only option is to arm and disarm the Base station (and/or the Arlo Q).

Since the Wire-free cams appear normal "live" the rf link and battery voltage are not factors.

Cameras H7 v.1.2.10342>

Base station VMB3010r2 v.1.8.80_11528>

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You've been struggling to hard, too long.  It sounds like a hardware issue that only contacting support can fix.  I wish more folks would utilize the Contact Support link at the bottom here sooner rather than later.  I certainly understand the desire to figure it out without having to ask for help but beating one's head against a brick wall hurts.  Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Open a case since it truly seems like a hardware issue.  You've done the logical things already.