Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Saddened to see Arlo leaving the business

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
firemarshaldave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just read the EOL statement that Applies to the cameras I purchased 12-22-22.  I now have 9 Cameras and was here to purchase another hub so I can place my new 4030 ultra 2 cameras into service. I won't be doing that now as they hit EOL in 20 months.  This came as quite a shock as they are unused and now obsolete.  I will be looking for a company that will be continuing to provide service in this sector to secure my rental properties. I am proud that you made me aware that you are leaving the sector.  I guess it's one of those my warranty service lasts till you see my tail lights situations.

5 REPLIES 5
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo ultra 2 cameras are not mentioned in the EOL policy. Do you have the arlo ultra 2(VMC5040) or the arlo pro(VMC4030) Cameras?

firemarshaldave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe they are ultra 2 4030.  I guess i need to take out the battery and see if there is a number inside.  They were the newest model.

firemarshaldave
Aspirant
Aspirant

The newest cameras were unboxed and flown to a new 1031 exchange property but I need a vmb5000 here to put them in service thus I came to Arlo's site  to buy a hub and read the EOL for the cameras.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Not sure of your purposes for getting the ultra, was it for the higher 4K resolution I wonder?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062770/Which-Arlo-Cameras-and-Doorbells-work-directly-with-my-Wi-Fi-router 

incase your not aware all camera models since 2018 require a paid subscription plan to have cloud storage along with the smart detection features.

The ultra cameras require at least a vmb4xxx base.

Base hubs like the vmb5000 or vmb4540 will let you access locally stored triggered recordings using the mobile app, read limitations carefully.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

The EOL policy aims to depreciate the earlier arlo Cameras and services arlo is keen to move on from.

Unfortunately the feedback to such a move was observed by arlo management to be too negative to their company reputation so they back peddled a little from their original approach.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@firemarshaldave wrote:

I believe they are ultra 2 4030. 

No such thing.  The VMC4030 is the Arlo Pro, and Arlo stopped manufacturing it back in 2018.

The Ultra 2's model number is VMC5040, and it is definitely not end-of-life. Open one of the cameras and remove the battery - you'll find a label inside.

As @DannyBearAgain points out, you will need a subscription for cloud storage with the Ultras (true for all current Arlo cameras).