Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Nen_Dana
Follower
Follower

Hi, I have been trying to set up the Activate two-step verification for added security but the  SMS is not received and send to my phone. I have been trying to call the contact center waiting for hours and have no response. I am located the New Zealand, is anyone have the same experience or any solution suggest please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

For everyone who is experiencing an issue with not receiving SMS for Two-Step Verification, please try again and let us know if you're still experiencing this issue on a new thread.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

I have exactly the same issue.  Have been trying on and off the last few days and never receive the text message when trying to set this up.  Have tried using several different mobile numbers, have tried dropping the zero at the start of the phone number.  Have ensured that NZ is selected as the country.  Nothing works.  No solutions appear online from what I can see in searches so far unfortunately.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Nen_Dana and Bridgeburner,

What phone device are you using for the Arlo app? Have you tried reinstalling the Arlo app and rebooting your phone device to see if that works?

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

Hi Jessica,

Have tried using an iPhone SE (latest model MX9R2X/A).  Phone has been rebooted several times.  Arlo app deleted and reinstalled with reboot inbetween.  Doesn't matter whether I try to setup Two-step authentication from the app on the iPhone, app on an iPad Air 2, or from MyArlo via a browser login (Chrome 84.0.4147.135 on Macbook Pro), the SMS simply does not reach any NZ mobile phone number I have tested using.  SMS from other apps working fine to the same numbers/devices.  If I am going to be forced to use two-step, the setup needs to work via SMS as push notification or fallback to email is not practical for me.

ChadSmith
Star
Star

Such is the problem with SMS 2FA. Here in Australia using SMS is also somewhat unreliable and messages can sometimes take hours to be delivered.

I realise that having SMS 2FA is considered better than nothing. I agree. However, only if it is reliable. Developers need to realise that SMS is not a reliable method.

For this reason, I will never use SMS as 2FA as it can potentially result in being locked out of the account.

That, and the fact that SMS is also one of the least secure forms of 2FA. It should never be used, let alone forced upon customers without knowing the circumstances under which the codes are being delivered. Account 2FA should always provide primary options for local authenticator apps to generate the codes.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We recently released a new Arlo iOS app update, which is version 2.19.2. Try updating the Arlo app to the latest version and see if that helps with receiving SMS text message to activate Two-Step Verification. 

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

The updated Arlo app makes no difference.  The SMS messages still do not reach any mobile number I test with.  As previously mentioned, I have the same issue of SMS messages not reaching my mobile regardless of whether I try to setup 2FA from the iOS app or when logged into my.arlo.com via a web browser on a laptop.  

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Could you provide what phone carrier you're using to receive the SMS text?

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

Sure thing - its Vodafone NZ.  Have checked and confirmed that other SMS coming through ok on the same network.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for providing that info. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We want to follow up to see if anyone is still experiencing this issue.

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

Yes, I still have exactly the same issue.  Hadn't heard any update since your previous message that the dev team were looking at the issue, so assumed it was still being investigated.  I still do not receive the SMS message to any cell number that I try.  I have been trying every few days for the last 2 weeks and no luck.  Unsure as to how I will be able to access my system if mandatory 2FA comes into force at the end of September as planned and I still cannot activate this via SMS.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for letting us know you're still experiencing the issue. The development team is still investigating this issue. We'll be sure to provide any update when we hear any new information. We appreciate your patience!

Slartinz
Tutor
Tutor

I am having exactly the same issue.  Tried a number of times and no SMS received for 2FA.  Any solution yet?  Apparently we won't be able to use arlo in a couple of days without 2fa right?

dhere
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem. Tried every week to set up sms in NZ, videophone. Never works. I have trusted device set up, but if I tank my phone, guess it's no more arlo.
NickDNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another new customer here in New Zealand.

I've submitted my iPhone phone number multiple times via the Arlo app to activate SMS Verification (with Vodafone New Zealand as carrier). The country code for New Zealand is selected from the menu and I have entered my number and hit the 'continue' button. Then nothing. No SMS comes through, so no verification code. 

Thanks 

SteveNZ
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here!

I've tried 6 times to get the SMS without luck. The 2 step verification date needs to be pushed back else you're going to have a lot of upset Kiwis!

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

I was pretty much forced to enable 2FA via the 'trusted device' route given the deadline was today, and there has been no notification from Arlo on either a fix being deployed or a rollback of the 2FA deadline.  I need to be able to check my cameras.  I can't keep trying to enable via SMS each day on the off chance its been fixed.

Safe to say I'm really hating the enforced 2FA.  My primary logon method is via chrome on my laptop, and I have no way of making this a 'trusted device' it seems.  Every time I need to logon throughout the day (I run a home office) I have to grab my cellphone and have 20 seconds to once again authorise my Macbook.  I never get the option to make the macbook trusted to avoid the prompt in future.  Why can't I denote my macbook as a trusted device?  I know its not the same as a smartphone or tablet, but surely I should be able to make a laptop trusted so I don't have fumble for a cellphone multiple times a day to login....  Its making me not want to use the product.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

For users who are not receiving SMS tor Two-Step Verification, could you check to see if it is under "Unknown Senders" on your iMessages? You can read here to learn more: Filter iMessages from unknown senders

Let us know if you've received the SMS through the "Unknown Senders" section or not.

Bridgeburner
Guide
Guide

I do not have this option enabled at all - there is no filtering of SMS messages from unknown senders on my phone.

NickDNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have any senders blocked or unknown senders activated on my iPhone. I always receive these types of SMS verification codes successfully from other services/platforms.

Thanks 

ChadSmith
Star
Star
Jessica, please don't assume that the SMS is being sent and received in the first place.
This is the problem with SMS 2FA, and why it should never be used, let alone be mandatory. It's unreliable.
It's why local authenticator apps are a much preferred option. Why can't Arlo understand this?
Slartinz
Tutor
Tutor

Am on Android so no imessage option or unknown senders.

M

WG-G
Aspirant
Aspirant

Edit to my reply below** - Have just had this reply from Arlo support for anyone else in NZ having a problem with the two-step verification, and/or the AC power disconnected message that is showing up on cameras on your phone app.

"... To answer your first question, I truly apologize but the SMS verification is still an issue in New Zealand and we don't have an information as to when it will be fixed yet. We are recommending to use the push notifications for now. Also, regarding the error message "AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled." this is also an issue as well and our engineering team are currently fixing this, we will send you an email as soon as we already have update about this. For now, we are recommending to use the website my.arlo.com as the error message will not show up there. I truly apologize ..."

I notice this started back in August, it's now October and I cannot set up two-step verification either, have tried 5x on phone and again on laptop.  No SMS received.  It's no good having SMS as a verification if we don't get the texts from you.  I am also in NZ, there is nothing wrong with my phone, my provider, my laptop, or my ability to set this up.  

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

For everyone who is experiencing an issue with not receiving SMS for Two-Step Verification, please try again and let us know if you're still experiencing this issue on a new thread.