Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rules Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jimmy3323
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am hoping to get a straight answer how these cameras are suppsoed to work.  I have a 2 camera system right now.  Both are signed up for smart notification plan.  Garage camera set up for notification for both movement and people.  Fromt door camera set up for notifications for only people.  I have activity zones set up for both.  I have a custom mode with rules set up that are pretty basic.  When the garage door camera detects motion record for 10 seconds and the front door camera should record for 15 seconds.  When the front door camera detects motion it will record for 10 seconds and the garage camera should record for 15 seconds.  

I thought it was pretty straight forward that the system would do just as I described above.  It doesnt.  So far the rules arent working by triggering the other camera to record.  Just the trigger camera records.  I also get push notifications, set up for them and not email, sometines with no recording associated with them.  I see the snapshot on my loick screen of my iphone but no recording.  This happens both for motion and or people or both detections.  Sometimes I have recoordings and sometimes I dont,

I wasnt able to get a straight answer the first time I called in with complaints about my camera not detecting motion at all.  I was sent a new camera for my front door and it seems to work somewhat better but there are still times when it wont record or detect motion.  I have the camera set up on an angle from the direction of view....meaing the approach is not directly facing the camera...it is anbout 45 degrees.

Batteries aer over 75% and wireless signal is 2 of 3 bars.

**************************************************UPDATE**************************************************

I think my front door is triggering the rule.  I have the camera set to record for 15 seconds when triggered.  I am getting recordings from my garage camera that are 15 seconds long.  Normal recordings are set to 10 seconds.  To test I jjst walkws out my front door.  I got a push notification that a person was detected and the garage camera recorded for 15 seconds but my fromt door camera didnt record at all.  I have restarted the system several times and this is a "new" camera connected yesterday.

Any help is appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

3 quick questions - 1) Is all firmware up to date? 2) Have you restarted the base? 3) What device and OS are you using?

Try deactivating the cameras from Smart to see if that does anything.

jimmy3323
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes I am up to date on the firmware. Have restarted the base station. Haven’t removed smart notifications yet. Today the rules started working. What I am now seeing is the front door camera. Or recording all. I had a delivery and it didn’t recorded. Then I went out the front door and it didn’t record. No notifications either.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of the camera view.

jimmy3323
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did just now remove from smart and attached is the front door view.

jimmy3323
Aspirant
Aspirant

here is the garage view

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The front camera is awkwardly placed. Much of the motion on the sidewalk is directly at the camera or nearly so, making detection difficult. I'm guessing you're using the magnetic mount due to the angle - I'd suggest using an outdoor one that extends out and swivels so you can get a better view but I'd be looking at putting the camera on the other side of the door.

The garage camera has the same problem with  motion directly at the camera. I think the same suggestions above might help, moving the camera to the left side of the garage (as seen looking towards the front of the house).

jimmy3323
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you. I wondered if that may be the issue.

How long should the batteries last on these cameras assuming moderate recording? 10-20 a day? Replaced the batteries on front door last night and as of now they are at 79%. May have recorded 15 10sec clips so far
Today?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Spec life for ~ 4 months is based on <5 minutes per day of recording and live viewing. Other things such as the connection strength and quality can also drain the battery. Mirrors, ductwork, thick, heavy walls, the mesh under stucco, etc. all contribute.