Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 42 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why does the web portal now force me to log in every time I load it?  This behavior started yesterday or the day before. 

42 REPLIES 42
Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is that clear now Arlo?

bvoswego
Aspirant
Aspirant

Keep up the feedback to Arlo. I posted a question to Arlo two  months ago about the log off issue without any reply. One would think they would extend the courtesy of a response "we are working on it".

I continue to have other issues such as video play back and rapid advance during playback. Arlo then sends me a note that says they need more info from me after 12 hours and the ball is in their court not mine. The response key to update the case doesn't work. Things seem to be getting worse after the split to a separate Arlo company. I question their technical abilities at this time and into the future. A product is all about stability and service. I hope Arlo is listening.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

You know it's causing lots of problems for those of us preferring to use the web portal.  You don't force the other apps to log out.

Why do you refuse to respond?  When are you going to fix this?

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still waiting for a fix Arlo

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

The issue is with the web portal. PC / MAC. It is a pain and lengthy. Log in usually takes over a minute and then you have to unblock and allow flash and log in again. Flash will no longer be available in early 2020. Most large companies have known this since 2017 and have gone to HTML5 in anticipation. I suppose most of us who have spent a lot of money on your products are expecting Arlo to do the same, as many of your customers monitor their cameras on the web portal.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

As @parsrgood said, it's not the mobile, it's the web app.  You didn't read the thread before responding.  Arlo made this change months ago and we want it changed back.  It makes the web portal unreliable and unusable.

There are several threads which also go into more detail, like the timeout that's now imposed on the web portal, forcing us to go through the login process every 1/2 hour or so instead of staying logged in as it used to, and as the apps still do.

@parsrgood I predicted a few months ago that Arlo is going to drop support of the webportal when Flash support dies.  I got chastised by one person, but no other response.  I still think that might be their plan. 

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Macahi 

Yes, I remember the comment. I’ve actually had comments taken off of threads because I had a pissing contest with one of Arlo’s supposed Super Users that are too quick to make comments on threads that don’t involve them. Their intent is to make us believe that they are knowledgeable, and in most cases they just come off as if they’re above the consumer. These threads have moderators. Most times you really have to get aggressive to get the moderators attention. But that’s who we want to hear from. The moderators. Not the super user, unless they’re having the same problems with the rest of the contributors to the thread.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@parsrgood 

Agreed.  BTW, you don't have to log in again after clicking the icon to enable flash.  Once you do that, click on the library or another portion of the portal, then click back to the Devices tab and you should be good to go.  Just don't refresh the browser and you're good for n minutes.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@parsrgood wrote:

But that’s who we want to hear from. The moderators. Not the super user, 

My own intent is just to help folks out, and this is intended to be a community forum where people do help each other.   If you think I am violating forum policies, then report my posts to the mods.

FWIW, I agree with you that the repeated web client logins aren't necessary and that I wish they would revert to the previous login policy.  I use the web client more than I use the app, and I definitely find the flash issues and the login policy to be annoying.  Also, I find it annoying when something can only be done in the app.

@Macahi wrote:
BTW, you don't have to log in again after clicking the icon to enable flash. 

This is browser-dependent.  For instance, Chrome forces you to reload the page after you enable flash, and that does require logging in again (just as any page refresh does now).  

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is browser-dependent.  For instance, Chrome forces you to reload the page after you enable flash, and that does require logging in again (just as any page refresh does now).  

@StephenB 

Makes sense.  I'm using FF exclusively for this, and my work-around works for me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Macahi wrote:

Makes sense.  I'm using FF exclusively for this, and my work-around works for me.

I have FF installed, but prefer Chrome - partly because it uses its built-in flash player.  Looking at the reported CVEs, the built in flash players have fewer security issues than the actual plugin.  With Chrome I try to remember to enable flash before I log in (and also try to remember not to use the back control or refresh the page).  Chrome will remember the setting until I restart the browser (which I don't do that often).

Looking at 4K requires me to use Edge - which I do sometimes, but more frequently I just download and watch the video in VLC.  Edge just doesn't work that well for me to use it routinely.

So it's workable for me too, though of course it'd be better if they just switched to html5.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

When are you going to fix this?  When are you going to restore the previous functionality?

I am getting sick and tired of not being able to rely on the webpage.  When I need to check a camera, I find that I've been logged out...again.  It takes forever to log in.  Leave us logged in like used to happen when I first bought this system.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please fix this.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

And now you've actually made it worse! Now I have to dismiss 2 prompts before even getting access to the log in screen. 

WTH is wrong with you people?  This can't be by mistake.  You're intentionally making the web interface more and more difficult to use.  FIX IT

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

FIX THIS!

dcfox1
Master
Master

What 2 prompts are u having to close before logging back in. I have other cams and their sites log  off after a certain time its a security issue. Many other Sites log u out after a period of time.  Once I get logged out I just log back in. Login and password is saved unless u have turned off in browser.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Your session expired. Please login to continue"   <-- this one is new.

"Log in" <--- this one has been around since last Aug.

In case you're new, it used to just load the page with the username/password fields without having to click throuh.

@dcfox1 You didn't read the whole thread before responding, did you?

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Arlo, since you're obviously not going to fix the webpage, how about you update the apps so they have the same behavior?  Please force the apps to log out after 30 minutes.  Require a manual log in of email and password every time. 

Let's get some equality here.