Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have been using rechargeable batteries few different brands although after charge camera tells me batteries not charged and only last few hours. The charger tells me they are charged although seems not good enough for camera. So frustrating...... Why????
17 REPLIES 17
BobW_NC
Guide
Guide

They say the only rechargeable batteries the arlo cameras work with are Tenergy. And, only some Tenergy rechargeable batteries. Have no idea what's different. They also warn that using other than the specified Tenergy rechargeable batteries might result in fire escaping from the batteries. 

https://kb.arlo.com/980150/Safety-Rules-for-Arlo-Wire-Free-Camera-Batteries

They even have to be labeled "works with Arlo".

manfredz
Hero
Hero

the tenergy rechargeable batteries that work are the gold colored 3.7V batteries not the silver colored 3.0v ones.

What brand and voltage rechargeable batteries are you using?

Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
3 types.
Digital , k2 Energy and ultrafire. None work.
Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
How rediculous that Arlo prior to purchase doesnt let its buyers know this.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

what's the voltage of the rechargeable batteries?

Under accessories, Netgear has only certified the Tenergy 3.7v rechargeable batteries.  Also this subject is regularly discussed in this forum, so putting the blame on Netgear is not justified in my opinion.

Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Of course in your opinion it wouldnt be. In my opinion when I purchased the Arlo cameras it never mentioned in its packaging or paperwork a thing about the types of rechargeable batterys to be used... so it is Arlo's responsibility to make its customers aware from the beginning of the sale not only online after the sale.... If i was told to be sure you go online prior to use of course I would so dont tell me Arlo has not to blame.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anthonyg wrote:
3 types.
Digital , k2 Energy and ultrafire. None work.

And what are the voltages of those cells you have?

It has been shown only 3v OEM and 3.7v li-ion cells ( 123/16340 size ) will function well... The cameras have been set for these.

Netgear only recommends Tenergy because they have the needed safety features built in to prevent overdrain and over charge.

Other QUALITY li-ion 3.7v cells will work too but have not been given the node by Netgear and you use at you own risk.

Word to the wise, use those ultrfires in a flashlight and not arlo... there has been more than one melted camera by using cheap poor quality cells ( which is why Netgear takes its stance )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Actually out of all other batteties i purchased the 3.7volt 2300mAh grey batteries hold charge no over heating or melted camera. I will try to purchase the ones you have advised although cant buy them in australua i think ill try on amazon and have them shipped. Thanks
Happy_User
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had arlo cameras for about a year now and I purchased my natteries from Ebay. They hold a charge for about 2 months or so. Very inexpensive alternative. An No melting cameras here. Hope this helps.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Personally, I'd ditch those and take the time to find the proper batteries.  1800mAH simply isn't possible in this form factor and you've proved it by the amount of time between chargings.  If they were really that strong, you'd have much longer life since the OEM non-rechargeable batteries are about 15000mAH and last up to 6 months.

The real danger of these cheap-ass batteries is that there's no protection in them to prevent the output from going wild.  It's your chloice, of course, but I'd prefer to protect my expensive cameras.  It's similar to buying cheap tires for your expensive car and then expecting them to perform like high performance tires.

Anthonyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
I understand about quality with products although all this hype about batteries turning your camera on fire and reading many people saying keep away from china batteries as they could melt camera but I havent seen anyone actually confirm its happened. Are the manufactures of these recommendations perhaps in this community as well ? 😊
manfredz
Hero
Hero

its like with many products.  there's authorized accessories and there's cheaper alternatives.

netgear has ak'd tenergy i'm sure after extensive testing for among other things a consistent product.

others may be just as good but havent been tested by netgear.  Nitecor comes to mind.

Then there's the chinese cheapies.  First the capacity can't be real, physically impossible.  And I would not expect same high consistent quality control.  Considering the price difference isn't that great, it's better to be safe, unless you're in one of the many countries where the Tenergys aren't available

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

At least one report of a fire has been reported here.  Obviously, you can use whatever you want but you won't get warranty coverage and maybe not an insurance claim.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

and we mustnt forget the  numerous cell phone fires caused by lithium-ion batteries going bonkers

bhusband
Apprentice
Apprentice

I use theTenergy rechargeable batteries Netgear recommends because cheap battery can over heat leak ruin your cameras.  They work very good too.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I too have the Tenergys in 3 of my 4 cams and a Nitecore set in the 4th with very good results.  The problem with the Tenergys is that they are available in only a few countries.

Burdie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have bought rechargeable batteries from Hixon at Aliexpress. They are safe and work great.