Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Timmy1024,

Just take a close look at the photo I posted earlier.

The big red arrow in the left photo shows the place where the metallic film of the battery slightly overlaps, making the batteries a little bit thicker where the overlap is.

Placing the batteries with the overlaps spot (see red arrow in the right picture) all facing inwards should result in batteries that tightly fit in Arlo Wire Free camera's.

Matsuc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I try hard to find rechargable cr123 in HK, finally got 3V 500mA one...just start to use it for arlo for an hour seems working well. It is perfect fit in size, doesnt have the problems of overall size.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The 3v battery will likely be an issue.  The lithium ion batteries are all 3.7v and work well - LiPO 3.0 v batteries have not worked well unless the firmware now has changed to support them.

lozts
Guide
Guide

From what I've gathered, it sounds like Olight or Nitecore rechargable batteries are the way to go? Where is the cheapest place to buy those batteries from others experiences? Ebay? Also, what charger would you recommend? The Nitecore D4? TIA!

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Where to buy may depend on where you live because most shops will not post these lithium batteries internationally. I am in Australia and the availability locally is very poor. There are a couple of online shops in China that will still ship them, but my experince with FastTech was woeful - the batteries and charger had still not arrived after 10 weeks and I bought another charger on eBay, and the Nitecore batteries from Gearbest.

I have the D4 and it works quite well.

lozts
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find Olight or Nitecore rechargeable batteries on gearbest so I guess that option is off the table.

I did find a new Nitecore D4 on ebay on-sale for $19.98 from a US seller which is perfect for me since I live in the US. I guess I'll also just buy the batteries off of ebay. I read some people saying that in the more recently bought Arlo cameras they changed something with the battery compartment so that some rechargeable batteries don't fit anymore. Should I be worried about this with either the Nitecore or Olight rechargeable batteries or will they both fit fine?

CCNE37 wrote:

Where to buy may depend on where you live because most shops will not post these lithium batteries internationally. I am in Australia and the availability locally is very poor. There are a couple of online shops in China that will still ship them, but my experince with FastTech was woeful - the batteries and charger had still not arrived after 10 weeks and I bought another charger on eBay, and the Nitecore batteries from Gearbest.

I have the D4 and it works quite well.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are the rechargeable batteries I use. I've been using them for over a year without problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWAC0AK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is the battery charger I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UAI372/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 5 cameras all using these batteries and 4 extra batteries that I keep charged for when I need to do a battery change. I change mine when they get down to about 60% and it takes just a few hrs to recharge the batteries with the charger listed above. Batteries fit fine in the camera's and that charger can charge many types of batteries. I have 24 of these batteries and haven't had a problem with any of them and they're still going strong after a year of use.

lozts
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply but according to a few reviewers on amazon those batteries are really 300 - 500 mah (closer to 300 mah) so I think I'll stick with some of the other batteries that others have thoroughly tested in this thread. You may have gotten lucky with the batteries you received but I don't want to risk it.

lozts
Guide
Guide

lozts wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find Olight or Nitecore rechargeable batteries on gearbest so I guess that option is off the table.

I did find a new Nitecore D4 on ebay on-sale for $19.98 from a US seller which is perfect for me since I live in the US. I guess I'll also just buy the batteries off of ebay. I read some people saying that in the more recently bought Arlo cameras they changed something with the battery compartment so that some rechargeable batteries don't fit anymore. Should I be worried about this with either the Nitecore or Olight rechargeable batteries or will they both fit fine?

It wouldn't let me edit my previous post above but the Nitecore's are currently $4.76/battery on Battery Junction so I went with those.

16 good rechargable batteries with a good charger for under $100 seems like a good deal.

Thanks everyone for all your research on this topic. I really appriciate it.

lozts
Guide
Guide

16 good rechargable batteries with a good charger for under $100 seems like a good deal.

Thanks everyone for all your research on this topic. I really appriciate it.

Promo code NITECORE4U is good for 10% off the Nitecore batteries at battery junction as well.

16 good rechargable batteries with a good charger for under $90 seems like a great deal!

Juliusy1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just brought the 3.7 li-ion 2800 off eBay with a charger for 15$ . Is the 2800 Mah to much for the cameras or I need 2300/2200?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, you need GOOD batteries.  The ones rated above 700-800 mAh are bogus in their ratings and very likely have no protection built into them, potentially leading to camera meltdown/fire.  Read the rechargeable threads for suggestions and, if possible, cancel this order or return them.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Juliusy1 wrote:
I just brought the 3.7 li-ion 2800 off eBay with a charger for 15$ . Is the 2800 Mah to much for the cameras or I need 2300/2200?

If you had read this thread you would have seen it mentioned several times that anything above about 700mAh are total BS, and, in fact, a few of the supposed 2500mAh or greater have actually tested up at around 300mAh, so they are total junk.

Also, I would guess that the batteries you have bought are also the unprotected variety, and again, it is mentioned many times in this thread that it is STRONGLY recommended to get protected batteries to prevent a fire or overheating event in the camera or during charging.

As said above, ditch them and buy something decent as recommended in this thread.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking at the Nitecore, found them for $5.95 each with free shipping over $50 until Dec 31.  http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-nl166.html

lozts
Guide
Guide
Promo code: NITECORE4U is still good for 10% off Nitecore batteries as well
WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Awesome.  Tried it.  Still have them in the cart ready to go.  Worked.  Thanks!!!!!!

georaldc
Tutor
Tutor

Wait, so certain batteries won't fit in some cameras? Is there a way to know which would work on which (like pictures of the the different battery compartments)?

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Pro units take rechargable batteries that me with it.  The non pro cameras come with non rechargable batteries.  The differences noted I believe above are the way the batteries are wrapped.  Where they overlap themselves, that part needs to be put towards the center section where they won't touch anything else.   Hope this helps.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

The batteries at batteryjunction are backordered, in case anyone needed to know.  Should be in around 12/14/16 I am told.

George-garcia
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought these cameras 6 months ago, the battery's runs out very fast, every month I have to spend $60 dollars per pair of batteries

Don't buy these kind of cameras they are the worst in the market !!! They are not with it at all
c0mm0
Guide
Guide
Pulls up a chair and grabs the popcorn...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

c0mm0 wrote:
Pulls up a chair and grabs the popcorn...

No kidding!  😛

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

George-garcia wrote:
I bought these cameras 6 months ago, the battery's runs out very fast, every month I have to spend $60 dollars per pair of batteries

Don't buy these kind of cameras they are the worst in the market !!! They are not with it at all

Why did you wait so long to come here or open a case with support?  Where are you located?  Where are you buying batteries?  A quick Google serach will come up with batteries for ~$1.50 each, not $30.  

As for what's causing you to replace batteries so frequently, how much recording and live viewing are you doing per day?  4-5 minutes per day TOTAL is what gives the spec life.  How is the WiFi strength between the cameras and base?  Details will help.

lozts
Guide
Guide

$15 a battery?! Damn, shipping to your planet is expensive!

They are the worst in the market? I'm curious what you're comparing them to.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I finally recieved 10 of the 12 nitecores that I ordered.  Still waiting to hear from them on the other two.  Charged them up completely on the nitecore charger.  Put the batteries in two cameras yesterday afternoon.  In less than one day, my batteries are at 47% and 53%.  Now I am in Michigan and it is cold outside, where the cameras are but, I never expected for them to drop that quickly.  I had disposable energizer lithiums in there before that lasted a lot longer than this.   Am I missing something here?